recommend me a dive centre in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_yates

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As per the thread title, which dive shop would you dive with in key largo and if possible why. Hopefully I should be there in September, I would love to do some wreck diving any recommendations.

Thanks guys

Matt

You're about to get a few hundred responses, but let me just point out that it is not necessarily the shop you are diving with, but the people. That is a few bigger factor in my opinion. There are all sorts of different size boats, and plenty of personal arguments for one or the other, but the best dives are the ones that involve a lot of good personal interaction with the other divers, and the crew. It's all about the attitude that the divers themselves bring!

We run about fifteen trips annually to the Keys and dive with a number of operators and cannot honestly say any are the best, nor are any ones we would not re-book with. Again, it is all about the relationship, and that is what we look forward when deciding which operator to dive with.

Hope that helps you digest the responses that about to come flying in! I'll be happy to share anything more in a PM or an email to me at dave@indianvalleyscuba.com

As per the thread title, which dive shop would you dive with in key largo and if possible why. Hopefully I should be there in September, I would love to do some wreck diving any recommendations.

Thanks guys

Matt

Matt
Conch Republic is a shop I have been using for years and they have a great reputation on the board. Just do a thread search and see for yourself.
They also go to all the wrecks in Key Largo.

Last edited:

Thanks guys

Matt
There are so many good dive operations on Key Largo that you really can't go wrong. We live in South Florida and we love diving Molasses reef, Cary Fort, Hen and Chickens, etc. Our favorite Dive Boat belongs to Sea Dwellers in Key Largo. In fact, I finally convinced my wife to get certified which she did last summer and the folks at Sea Dwellers were very kind and patient. My wife loved the experience and is now my full time dive buddy! In fact her instructor Ms. Cherry Bligh, who I believe is from England from her accent, was a great teacher. Look 'em up on the web.

I've gone out with most of the of the Upper Keys operators. And I love all wrecks, even the pristine Key Largo ones. Assuming you've done lots of diving in Bloke-land you'll have absolutely no problem in K.L. Are you a lone diver or will there be others with you? Recommendations can vary depending on your answer. If there will be two to six in your group try Quiescence (www.keylargodiving.com) or HMS Minnow (www.hmsminnow.com). They're both six-packs and they're both outstanding. The Minnow gets to the sites before all the other boats and will get you back to the dock sooner. You might also try them if you're a single. The bigger boats/operators I'd recommend are Conch Republic Divers (www.conchrepublicdivers.com) about 14 km south of K.L. and Ocean Divers (www.oceandivers.com). Conch Republic and Ocean Divers publish a schedule. Ocean Divers has two 13m boats and will go out with two divers. Conch has ~9m and 13m boats. Conch is close to the Eagle; the others are close to the Bibb, Duane, Benwood and Speigel Grove. (Google them.) HTH

Nice recommendation but I have to ask, seeing you are from NJ - when did these guys trade in their US-made boats for these metric ones??? I know Conch's boats were built in Louisiana!!

Hi Matt,
Here is a link to a directory of the FL Keys. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/362149-florida-keys-guide.html

There are more dive ops in Key Largo than gas stations. There are many often praised shops and many who participate on Scubaboard. Everyone has favorites for their own reasons. Search and read some threads about the dive ops that might interest you. Feel free to call and chat with them as well. I have friends at many and we all want to help you make the most of your vacation. Whether you dive with me or choose to dive with another, please stop by and say hi while you are here. :wavey:

Well spoken Elena!

Pleasure Divers! Nice boat, small groups, and the best captain and mate! Kim and Gino are great!

Silent World dive charters you can rent doubles and Deco/Stage/ Bailout bottles, helps if you want to get a decent dive time on the Duane and the Speigel Grove, they can cater to tech and recreational divers.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom