Lost OMER Freediving Fins (but FOUND EMETTI...torpedo like object) - Otter Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CA_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I seemed to have left my Omer Stingray freediving fins at Otter Cove. I'm pretty sure they came out of the water with me, and I'm usually very good about checking the ground before I leave. ...but I can't seem to find them (and now I definitely remember not washing them, they're a real pain to rinse - I'd remember). :depressed: They have my name ("CHOY") and number written on them, but if you find them please call me at 925-323-4886 or drop me an email at jonchoy@gmail.com. I'd love to get them back. They look like this.

OSBFS.jpg

In any case, I did find this in about 20ft of water...

179021_10100223844984663_1201212_56912034_7465211_n.jpg

180735_10100223845069493_1201212_56912036_3307896_n.jpg

At first we thought it was a torpedo, so we just left it there on the bottom after snapping a few pictures and pictures on the surface to help with locating it later. After getting home, I did a little research to find that it is a submarine tracking training device - sounds like a diesel sub, and eventually it just craps out and sinks to the bottom. Usually they're used in the deep water, so they're never recovered. This makes finding one so shallow very unusual.

Anyway, on Monday morning I called the "in case of emergency" phone # on the EMATT. After getting the "HOW DID YOU GET THIS NUMBER?", speaking with a Commander Burke, and then with an project leader/engineer, I think word has been passed to the Coast Guard. My guess is that soon our tax payer dollars will be going to recover this object so no one else finds it and thinks "OMG TORPEDO!!!." I'm not sure what the timeline of the recovery is, so it may be still out there. I'll update if I hear anything. Pretty cool find, definitely a first for me.

Last edited:
Yes it is an expendable EMATT Target used in ASW training. Can be set to swim various courses and depths. I'g be surprised if a bottom recovery was made, not worth the money.

Yea, the guy on the phone didn't really seem to make a big deal about getting it back. He just seemed more keen on just getting it back so there isn't some torpedo looking thing sitting on the bottom in 20 ft of water at Otter Cove.

Correction - "EMATT" not "EMETTI" - 1AM mistake. Now the acronym makes more sense - haha. Last night I couldn't put words to "EMETTI" and figured I had just gone mad.

E - expendable
M - mobile
A - Anti-submarine
T - Training
T- Target

Damn, if the navy doesn't want it, I'll take it. I bet you could make a great scooter out of it!

Update - one fin was found floating in Monterey Bay, so I definitely lost it in the surf zone. It's partner is still out there. Thanks.

Update - one fin was found floating in Monterey Bay by the Breakwater, so I definitely lost it in the surf zone. Its partner is still out there. If you happen to stumble on it, let me know. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom