Equipment Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I am still taking my technical diving lessons and am still planing to buy the equipment.

My questions if for the regulator and computer choice.

Regulators :
Apeks XTX50 for the main and backup reg.
Apeks AT20 for the left and right stage cylinders

On the Apeks internet site, XTX40 is not rated as a technical diving regulator. Does anyone know the reason? What makes a regulator a technical diving regulator? What if I use XTX40 for tech diving? Would it malfunction or cause any trouble? What makes a reg tech regulator is really something elusive for me to understand. If someone clear this phenomenon for me I really will be more than happy.

Computer :
Suunto HelO2 : Any tech diver use this computer? What are the pros and cons?

Short answer, ask your instructor what they want you to use during your course, and why

What course/s are you doing BTW?

Apeks XTX40 2nd stages don't have the breathing resistance adjustment; they're usually paired with the DST (Dry Sealed Turret) first stage

apeks-xtx40-regulator.jpg

The XTX50 has the adjustment (the silver knob sticking out the side) and is also usually paired with the DST 1st stage

Apeks-XTX-50.jpg

The Apeks 20 series regs are unsealed/warm water regs - the 2nd stage doesn't have the heat exchanger and the 1st stage is unsealed (water can enter the regulator)

apeks-xtx20-regulator.jpg

Sealed 1st stages are suitable for cold or contaminated water as well as warm water, although personally I prefer to use sealed regs in all conditions

My instructor does not want any equipment for the course. He has all the equipment and lets me use them during the instruction dives. He uses apeks xtx50 regs.

But I still do not understand what that breathing resistance adjustment do with the technical diving. First stage sealing is not an issue for me since I wont be diving that cold waters. I even do not use a drysuit.

Drysuits are not just for cold water, but that's another topic

You should still ask your instructor what he thinks about using XTX40s or 20s, and why he choses to use 50s, and what he would suggest you use/purchase, even if you are using his equipment during the course

The breathing resistance adjustment allows you to change the cracking pressure of your regulator ie the inhalation pressure that is required to cause the reg to open and allow gas to flow

Redundant buoyancy.

So what drysuits are for other than using in cold water ?

Even in relatively warm waters say 25 degrees C, you will get cold on a Deco dive if you're sitting static for a loooong time. Also Helium conducts heat away from the body faster than air does, so when you factor that into equation you start seeing drysuits in near tropical conditions.

Check the link here:
DUI - 30/30 Tropical Drysuits for SCUBA diving

Dui make a drysuit for tropical diving, for those people that get cold no matter what.

Computer :

I use the HelO2 along side of a Shearwater Predator. Without the transmitter, the Helo is a bit less pricey than a lot of other trimix computers. The Helo is a bit on the conservative side. That may be good,.... that may be bad, depends on what you're looking for. I have my Predator set very close to my Helo, but if I do something The Helo doesn't like (too fast an ascent, missed safety stop or such) it will severely "ding" you on your decompression on the next dive of the day. On my cave last trip it usually ran within a minute or 2 of my predator,... However on 1 dive, it gave me 12 min more deco than the predator, after switching both to O2. I'm not sure what the infraction was, I didn't look. Overall, it is easy to use & set. I do like the Predator's OLED display better than the Helo's back light. Much easier to see.

Hello,

I am still taking my technical diving lessons and am still planing to buy the equipment.

Computer :

Depending on what route you go, you may end up with Ratio Deco and/or cutting tables using VPlanner combined with the use of redundant bottom timers and a computer as backup/gauge mode.

The two common deco algorithms are Buhlmann-GF and VPM... The Liquivision X1 provides a choice of algorithms. Shearwater just announced they will also provide a choice of algorithms... Other tech computers have a choice of either. Personally, based on my own research into extended range dive computers, Suunto "Technical RGBM" has not been considered an alternative to the above two algorithms.

I'm a huge fan of the Shearwater Predator but use my DeltaP VR3HD as a backup. The new Liquivision Xen bottom timer looks like a nice unit but it very new to the market.

Dwayne

Last edited:
There's really no need for a computer when starting tech training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom