Christmas 2011 in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorrows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So last year about this time I posted a thread about planning our first trip to the Pacific and asked for advice about the Philippines.

Everybody was very helpful, but we ended up going to Palau instead. But I remember someone telling me that I'd be spoiled after coming to the Pacific, and really wouldn't be so eager to go back to the Caribbean.

This person was spot-on! Palau was fantastic--but with a lack of macro that we sorely missed. So I've been thinking about Indonesia or the Philippines A LOT. Busily checking out airfares, etc. and neither Cebu nor Manila look THAT much more expensive than going back to Bonaire.

Anyway, we've got about 12 days and I'm thinking we should just limit ourselves to one place. But what should it be in December, particularly if you want decent weather and good dive conditions? I know this isn't the best time of year. Right now I'm leaning towards either Puerto Galera or Moalboal. Dumaguete looks pretty awesome as well.

So...if it were you, where would you go for Christmas? PG? Moalboal? Other?

We are a family (college-aged son) of AOW divers from the East Coast. Son loves UW photography, we all love healthy reefs and muck, the weird and the wacky and the macro and the not-so-macro. Really open to just about anything. It's a very long and expensive way to get there, so obviously want it to be as good as possible.

I'm hoping you guys have some good advice for us! Thank you!

First time I went diving in the South Pacific ended my interest in the Caribbean. Absolutely no comparison.
Mike's in Dauin, mentioned above, is a nice, small, place that can offer personalised attention. Nice pool too. The diving off Apo Island is quite good, and not that far. It's one of my favorites. For more dive resort feel, check out Atlantis.

You'll find Puerto Galera full of divers and often restricted to 50 minute dives. In general, the place lacks the charm of other destinations. If you do pick, Atlantis is quite nice.

Not done Moalboal yet, but Alona Beach is very nice with good, and varied, diving. Check out the Oasis Resort. I've been told the two destinations are similar in nature. Alona Beach is also just a ferry ride from Dumaguete City, and you could do along with Dauin, if you wished. My preference, though, for two weeks would be to pick a place and stay put.

Indonesia is a very good destination too, and I've been going there every year for 6 years now. If you want strange stuff, go to Lembeh Strait, in North Sulawesi.

Sorrows, I think I was the one warning you... And yes, I told you so....:cool2::D

Since you seem to be missing macro (you got a good pelagic fix in Palau), I would hit the Manila region: More specifically Anilao (very well know for it's Macro critters), and then a 1 hour ferry to the other side and PG. 2 destinations very close and great diving.

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Dauin/Apo Island will get you both those kinds of diving. It's ideal for a family, and a great spot to spend xmas.

Check out Mike's place Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines or atmosphere Luxury Resorts and Residences - Atmosphere Resorts Philippines if you're ok with a higher budget.

Enjoy!

Okay, stupid question: Dauin is a fab dive site off Dumaguete, right? Are these resorts close to Atlantis then? I'd also read that the pier was the premiere dive site, and since that is closed, people are less enthused about Dumaguete. What is your opinion of that?

Indonesia is a very good destination too, and I've been going there every year for 6 years now. If you want strange stuff, go to Lembeh Strait, in North Sulawesi.

Dude, I would go to Lembeh in a heart beat--it's a bit pricey now and it seems to be easier to get good airfares going to PI than Sulawesi. But a combo Lembeh/Gangga would be my ideal; it's just a few thousand more out of the price range, particularly since we just had our big trip to Palau.

And then there's Wakatobi...one day!

Codman, I give you permission to say "I told you so" as often as you like. It's only fair.

So many of the places in PI seem kind of difficult to get to--PG is a case in point. Getting to Manila is easy enough, but then there's the 3-4 hour ride and a ferry. Dumaguete is pretty much the same, isn't it? Sulawesi sounds a lot easier, as was Palau. OTOH, one doesn't want to be too close to a major city (Manila)

I've been reading lots and lots about the Philippines and it seems like I'm more confused than ever. So many different places to consider! There is such a thing as too much choice, I guess.

I'll have to look into Anilao. Otherwise, it sounds as if it's either PG or Dumaguete? Or is there another contender?

Okay, stupid question: Dauin is a fab dive site off Dumaguete, right? Are these resorts close to Atlantis then? I'd also read that the pier was the premiere dive site, and since that is closed, people are less enthused about Dumaguete. What is your opinion of that?

Dauin is THE diving area of Dumaguete...there is no diving in Dumaguete itself.

Yes these are close by to Atlantis...walking distance. Well Atmosphere would take you a healthy 45mins. Mike's 10mins.

The Pier was an awesome site, but if you like muck diving then the other sites have an array of fantastic critters to show you...I doubt you'd be disappointed.

hth

Thanks, Matt, May I ask why you think Duain is such a great place to spend Christmas?

Your photos are awesome, btw.

Back
Top Bottom