Christmas 2011 in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in PG now and have been diving with Mark at Searider for the past week. Getting to PG is actually quite easy, bus to Batangas, then a ferry to Sabang. Quick tip, use the bag men or porters to haul your dive gear onto the ferry and off, it will save your back and for about a buck for me worth the price.
Many resorts to choose, from basic 500P rooms with fan to places like out of the blue at 100$ and up.
I choose Banana Moon, which is close to dive shop, plus I like a big balcony with fantastic view with place to sit and drink beer.
The diving has been varied, with good macro at some sites and the big stuff at sites like the canyons and of course verde island is always a delight. Currents have been swift some days and then on others next to none. Water temp has been 26-27C, cool by Filipino standards, but fine with me using my 1mm Akona fullsuit. One thing that has been some what of a disappointment has been the VIS. Some days, maybe 30-40', other days maybe 50' range. I am comparing to Cozumel where the VIS is often 100'+.
If you enjoy UW photo then Searider is good at finding the critters.

CLgsamson, I was told last year--by a resident from Malapascua--that December isn't a good time to go there. Something about the water being green, as I recall.

Blue Steal, I wonder why he viz is so bad? Is that normal or is there a plankton bloom or something else going on?

I would not say the VIS is bad, just less than stellar. Part of it may be that the sun was not out, and maybe the currents had to do with part of it. The divemasters were saying that the rains at the end of the island brought run off into the sea and the VIS would be low for a while.
Overall though the corral formations, variety, and the shears numbers of fish is amazing.
Did a dive called Dungon Wall and Sabang point, not to deep and the amount of critters was amazing.

Thanks, Matt, May I ask why you think Duain is such a great place to spend Christmas?

Your photos are awesome, btw.

Hi Sorrows,

Well, obviously everything is personal and relative. But Dauin is relaxed and friendly and full off nice people. Mike's is particularly a nice place to feel welcome and part of the 'family'...

It wont be a crazy xmas party but there will be good times, nice people, and a generally good atmos.

The weather there is usually nice at xmas, and the diving seems to suit your style.

Does that answer the question?

Codman,
I'll have to look into Anilao. Otherwise, it sounds as if it's either PG or Dumaguete? Or is there another contender?

If you do opt for PG, and are there for 2 weeks, why not do both PG and Anilao? they are about 1hour travelling by ferry; no big deal! Anilao is reputed to be better for Macro critters and muck style stuff... PG to have more diverse diving... Just wanted to throw in some extra info.

Whichever area you choose, I'm sure you'll get great diving...:coffee:

Xmas/NY is busy in the PI with all the Filipino OSW returning home and people visiting their families - so try to get your flights and accomodation squared away a few months in advance

+1 for PG

Lat November I dived with Asia Divers and stayed at El Galleon. All dives Nitrox, and usually 60-65mins per dive with 4 dives per day. Highly organized and ready to go back as soon as I can organize it.

Thanks, guys, for all the advice! Glad you are having such an awesome time, Blue Steal!

I am planning to book something by March 1st at the very latest--we've been doing these Christmas dive trips for awhile now, so I know how important it is to book early, both for airfare and resort.

Codman, that sounds good, but I think we'd prefer to go to one place and stay put--particularly as I would like to spend a few days in Hong Kong on the way back. It's a city I've always wanted to visit and I thought maybe it would help the jet lag to break it up a bit. When we got back from Palau this past December, the jet lag hit us harder than I expected.

Searcaigh, I am actually leaning towards Galleon/Asia Divers in PG right now. Hard to beat that price and the few negatives I am hearing are far outweighed by the positives! It sounds like my college-aged-UW photographer-divemaster son would really enjoy it there. He'll be turning 21 during this vacation, btw--I guess he can do shots with his old mom & dad!

No, actually, it was sierrakilo:

I live on Malapascua, and the diving is generally great here. However I'd advice you to go somewhere else, if the only time you have available to you is December. In December the water turns green here and the visibility drops markedly. This lasts until the end of January. If you're more into muck diving and a bit of a macro fanatic it shouldn't deter you too much, I guess. There's many people here in December though, even though it's quite rainy. It's not the best time of year to get a discount on the diving, if you're looking for cheap diving.

Best regards,
S. K.

In any case, we are all about the smaller stuff this time around, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom