Dive near Seattle on 3/5 or 3/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColinB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I may be in Seattle visiting friends next weekend, and I'm wondering what my options for a dive might be if the trip pans out. I'd be traveling alone and visiting non-divers, so I'd need to find a buddy willing to show a stranger around for a morning or afternoon or get some advice on a boat where I could go w/ a DM. I'm a recreational diver, and I'm up for a shore or boat dive (really whatever folks recommend). I'll bring my gear but would need to rent weights and tanks.

thanks for any advice/suggestions,
Colin

Colin: Try this link.
http://www.nwdiveclub.com
Go to dive planning and I am sure you can find a dive. If that doesn't work, I could probably arrange something but I don't know my schedule for that weekend yet.
- Curt Johnson

It's not a good weekend for tides, but all that means is that some of our best, current-swept sites are off the table. I don't know that I would be eager to spend the money for a charter on such a day.

Where in the Seattle area will you be? It's a big region, and where you might enjoy diving, and who might be available to dive with you, will depend on where you are. If you are in the central to north Seattle area, I could meet you for a tour around our local "mudhole" (which is actually not a bad dive site at all). I assume you are accustomed to diving cold water?

I'll be staying on Mercer Island, but I'll have a car and I'm willing to drive for a better dive or to meet up w/ locals. My typical diving around here is cold water although I'm still new to dry suit diving (about 15 dives). I actually just spent the day as the safety diver for my LDS' ice class although since everything went well I didn't actually dive today. Let me know if any other info would help for making dive suggestions,
Colin

Well, if you're on Mercer Island, Cove 2 is only about a 10 or 15 minute drive away. As I said, it's not our "best" diving, but we generally see interesting things (including octopuses) there.

A ten to fifteen minute drive would be great, especially to see octopuses, which I have not seen before. Is there a recommended time of day for this site and what sort of temperature is the Sound at this time of year?
thanks,
Colin

I would recommend either very early morning or early afternoon for the dive (2 pm would be great). Temperatures will be in the mid 40's. I'm not sure what I've got going on for the weekend (I have it blocked off on my calendar, but I'm not sure why) which is why I haven't volunteered to dive with you. If I'm not otherwise and previously booked, I'd be happy to join you for a dive there.

You might also consider posting on nwdiveclub.com -- there are ALWAYS people from that e-club diving in the Seattle area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom