Isabel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

washow88

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me a long time ago, that he likes to dive after a hurricane because the bottom would change. He says he would see an almost new site.
I do not know if that is true, but if any of you go diving in a dive site where Isabel hit, would please share it with us?

various shows on Discovery Channel etc, etc I would say your friend is correct. My first ocean dives were in the Key Largo area and there was a lot of dead coral there. According to the dive guides much of it was due to one of the large hurricanes that had gone through that area in fairly recent years.

Wreck hunters and archeologist have both found and lost UW sites based on hurricanes changing the UW landscape.

For the immeadiate future there will be very little diving in the outer banks area simply because it was torn up so bad.. The island of Hatteras was washed out, just above Hatteras Village. The buildings at the marinas, from our reports are gone. Most all buildings on the ocean side of the island sustained major damage or dissapeared. They have no idea when or how power will be restored to that area. The latest reports from the state is, they are trying to start a ferry service, or at least get a supply boat from Manns harbor to the lower island.

Yes, the diving would be great but I don't think there will be many boats out of there for a bit.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
For the immeadiate future there will be very little diving in the outer banks area simply because it was torn up so bad.. The island of Hatteras was washed out, just above Hatteras Village. The buildings at the marinas, from our reports are gone. Most all buildings on the ocean side of the island sustained major damage or dissapeared. They have no idea when or how power will be restored to that area. The latest reports from the state is, they are trying to start a ferry service, or at least get a supply boat from Manns harbor to the lower island.

Yes, the diving would be great but I don't think there will be many boats out of there for a bit.

Yep i am in Virginia Beach and i work all over i was down in NC yesterday working and the Damage in bad I grew up around here and spent alot of time down there and it tears me up to see the damage But they will bounce back. They always do nothing can push them out.

RumRunner

Just wondering, does anyone know the status of the National Aquarium in Baltimore? I heard about flooding there and that crossed my mind...

the hurricanes will cover or uncover wrecks. it can make a whole new dive site.
not sure which hurricane it was, but the Aolous (a cable layer sunk as part of the artificial reef program) was ripped into 4 pieces and strewn about the bottom.

sometimes you can find new artifacts on wrecks which everyone claims to have been stripped clean.

If you've never been to Hatteras Island these photos won't mean much but if you know the islands you might vaguley recognize something familar.

Hatteras Photos

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
Just wondering, does anyone know the status of the National Aquarium in Baltimore? I heard about flooding there and that crossed my mind...

Kelpermaid:
In summary, here's the scoop on the aquarium. All the fish made it, mostly due to a lot of hard work by dedicated people. Our volunteer office got severely damaged, but the dive locker made it without a problem. The water was about 3ft deep in the lower offices, which are now gutted for repairs. The lowest level with animals is the next floor up, so no problems.

Here's the account:
"All of the animals
(including the volunteers and staff that helped us through the crisis) are
doing well. We had no injuries and ZERO mortalities! As of today, the
Aquarium is mostly functional and open to the public. Now that's pretty
amazing considering all that happened!

Speaking of, here's the short version...... The storm wasn't much to write
home about. There wasn't really a lot of wind or rain. It was what happened
after the storm passed that surprised us all. The tide just kept on rising,
and rising, and rising, etc. By Friday morning the Inner Harbor was flooded
past Lombard Street and the water outside of the main building was over 4
feet deep! With waves crashing, it didn't take long before most of the
ground floor was soaking wet. Water rose to about 3 feet in some areas of
the building like the Volunteer Office, while the Dive Locker was spared
with only about 2-8 inches of water. Next, we lost power. Then we lost
emergency power. Then we lost our computer and phone systems. With no light
and little contact with the outside, we spent the next 12 hours nursing
systems along with bottles of pure oxygen. Supplies such as hundreds of
gallons of diesel for the generator, over a thousand pounds of dry ice for
chilled systems and freezers, and more than 50 large bottles of O2 for the
fish, had to be transported by boat from Pier 6. It was a combination of
incredible luck and extraordinary effort that got us through the night and
the following day."

on the Aquarium, Seahunt100%! I'm so pleased to hear the animals all made it. Congratulations to those involved!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom