OMS Featherweight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, after much research and consideration I have decided to give this OMS Featherweight a shot. As such, I have ordered one from Liesurepro. Could not pass it up with all the apparent bells and whistles at just over $200.00. :confused: So, as soon as it gets shipped out I will provide as in depth a review as possible here. No telling exactly when that will be though. :dork2: Looks promising enough that I wanted to pre order it.

I had been looking into the Zeagle express tech Deluxe as well as a few other Zeagle models. However, at half the cost I figure the Featherweight is worth a shot! This way I can keep my poodle jacket Tusa Sigma and have a decent back inflate travel rig. The sigma is big and heavy.

We shall see. :popcorn:

Looks nice. How many tank bands does it use? No picture of that tank holder on their website. If only one, then this would be an improvement over others on the market, perhaps.

Well, after much research and consideration I have decided to give this OMS Featherweight a shot. As such, I have ordered one from Liesurepro. Could not pass it up with all the apparent bells and whistles at just over $200.00. :confused: So, as soon as it gets shipped out I will provide as in depth a review as possible here. No telling exactly when that will be though. :dork2: Looks promising enough that I wanted to pre order it.

I had been looking into the Zeagle express tech Deluxe as well as a few other Zeagle models. However, at half the cost I figure the Featherweight is worth a shot! This way I can keep my poodle jacket Tusa Sigma and have a decent back inflate travel rig. The sigma is big and heavy.

We shall see. :popcorn:

That seems like a lot of lift for a travel BC. How much does the unit weigh total?

My guess is around 6 pounds. However, I have an email into the manufacturer. A review based on the DEMA Show states around 5 pounds. Seen here: OMS
The quoted 1680 Denier nylon should be pretty stout though.

Friends don't let friends buy OMS gear. The warranty service from OMS is so rotten that it's not worthwhile buying anything from OMS. Tech divers don't buy OMS because of the well-deserved poor reputation of their customer service and warranty departments. There are so many other truly GOOD scuba gear manufacturers out there that it simply doesn't make any sense to buy from OMS.

Your purchase from Leisure Pro may insulate you from having to deal with OMS over warranty issues, since Leisure Pro generally handles their own warranty/repair.

Friends don't let friends buy OMS gear. The warranty service from OMS is so rotten that it's not worthwhile buying anything from OMS. Tech divers don't buy OMS because of the well-deserved poor reputation of their customer service and warranty departments. There are so many other truly GOOD scuba gear manufacturers out there that it simply doesn't make any sense to buy from OMS.

Your purchase from Leisure Pro may insulate you from having to deal with OMS over warranty issues, since Leisure Pro generally handles their own warranty/repair.

Really? I find it odd that you reference tech divers as my research on the brand evidenced heavy use of OMS gear by the tech crowd. They all seemed pleased with the gear. I have also not seen any bad reviews on the board. However, it may be that OMS as a search phrase does not do well. :idk:

I certainly wish I knew this info before the purchase. :depressed: Although, at 200 bucks it's worth a shot. :eyebrow:

My guess is around 6 pounds. However, I have an email into the manufacturer. A review based on the DEMA Show states around 5 pounds. Seen here: OMS
The quoted 1680 Denier nylon should be pretty stout though.

Well, here's the ultimate travel BC (see attached), made (or rather, pieced together) by, if I may shameless say so, me. It weighs a tad under 5 lbs, and maybe even a tad more than a tad under since that picture, as I have changed out the heavy Dive Rite corrugated hose for a thinner and lighter one (the kind you find on DSS and OMS BC's). I have also eliminated the left SS D-ring and replaced it with only a bungee loop, as this is all I need there. Otherwise, there's a Dive Rite Travel EXP wing (27# lift), Scubapro Knighthawk backpack and tank mount with a single Scubapro tank cam band, two XS Scuba quick release weight pockets on the waist belt, one XS Scuba quick attach trim weight pocket on the tank band, a delrin waist buckle and two delrin D rings on the waist belt, and a Halcyon hog narness (the lightest and most flexible on the market, as far as I am aware--see how that harness sags...you won't find too many brand new harnesses sagging like that--this stuff really is light and pliable...and it's a tad thinner and narrower than most, and still extemely durable), oh and a standard issue DSS tiny line cutter knife on the waist belt. Packs real flat fully assembled.

A note on OMS: Everyone complains about their customer service. I have no basis for believing they are wrong--I have written them once with a question and never received a reply. But I will say this: Every piece of OMS gear I have seen--a few wings (and I own two), a backplate, a spg, and some misc other stuff--has been extremely well made.

Attachments

• P2180053.jpg
    P2180053.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 286
  • P2180052.jpg
    P2180052.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Really? I find it odd that you reference tech divers as my research on the brand evidenced heavy use of OMS gear by the tech crowd. They all seemed pleased with the gear.

There is a minority of tech divers who use OMS gear. Generally, mainstream tech diving is at odds with regards to OMS equipment philosophy and gear configuration.

Let me put it another way. When tech divers show pictures to ridicule some behavior or ridicule some gear configuration, it is usually a photo of someone wearing OMS gear.

I have personal experience and knowledge of problems with OMS warranty and customer service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom