A whole bunch of noob Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cafka

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Next weekend I'm going to be going through my OW course.
I've been free diving on and off for about two years.
I've heard stories that on your first open water dives, you have to ditch your gear and swim for the surface in 33 feet of water. I've read in my dive manual that you have to be able to swim 200 feet and float for 10 minutes. But will things really get that hairy?
Also can you use surf booties in strap on fins or do you have to buy special booties?
What are some reputable companies that make diving equipment? I've heard of Aqua Lung, Mare, and Scubapro.
What does US Divers make? I can't find any information on them. Is it a chain store or a manufacturer?

Thanks,
Cafka

Aqualung and US Divers are now the same outfit I do believe.

US Divers will redirect you to the Aqualung website.

Requirements vary, but I don't think that anyone requires you to completely remove your gear and perform an ascent from 33 ft. Perhaps clarification from your instructor is in order, or post the certifiying agency and I am sure someone here will let you know what the requirements are.

Surf booties...not sure exactly what they are, but it sounds like they may work.

Zeagle

Sherwood Scuba

Apeks

Dacor

Scubapro

A few of them...there are many more.

Hope this helps.

Knavey once bubbled...
Surf booties...not sure exactly what they are, but it sounds like they may work.

well, it depends on what temps you are diving in. Surf booties, from what I believe they are, don't offer much for thermal protection. Also they are pretty low cut, so the strap might be annoying on the back of your leg.

wetsuit boots are designed to have thermal protection, and designed to not leave any of your ankle exposed. Another option is fins that you can wear with bare feet.

I'd talk to your shop when you buy your fins, to see what they would recommend for your area.

Yeah I'll be diving the channel islands, so it's a bit chilly.
And my surf booties are only 7 mm anyways.

Also I've heard alot about LDS stores or something. What does that mean?
Also is it better to buy your equipment over the internet, dive shop, or a larger store(like Sport Chalet)?

Thanks again,
Cafka

LDS = Local Dive Shop which is hopefully close by. There are huge debates on this board over how much $$$ you should drop at a LDS but I will leave that up to you to decide. Just use the search engine for the board and type in LDS LeisurePro pricing training etc. That should take about a year to read.

"only 7mm"

Holy Thick Wetsuit Batman! 85F water temp for me on the last set of dives I did...sure glad I moved south!

I guess I'll wade in here.

Local Dive shop (LDS) vs Internet. Big price mark up (in some cases) vs much cheaper. Warrenty vs nothing. Source to rent gear, take classes, get air etc... vs less expensive gear with no warrenty, no recourse if it breaks, dies, floods, etc..

Ditch gear and swim to the surface :confused: Not in any agency that I am familiar with. At least not at the Open Water level.

Yes you must be able to swim 200 feet, tread water for 10 min, and maybe another swim skill.

Best wishes,

TwoBit

As long as your surf booties have the general shape of Converse Hi-Tops and fully cover your ankles, they should be fine.

I'd suggest that you more than likely will only need your own mask, fins, snorkel and gloves/booties for your OW.

Mask - one that fits is more important than anything else (does it stay on your face without any straps while inhaling in through your nose without any hard pressure points)

Snorkel - simple and basic...don't be swayed by the $99 WOW snorkel...snorkels are for snorkeling and briefly on the surface...simple=better for scuba.

Fins - I don't really care about the giagantic split/no split debate here's my thoughts for a new OW student. Go with a classic paddle fin (not split). They are typically less expensive and more intuitive to use. I like the ScubaPro Jets, a pair can last you for at least 10-15 years.

Welcome to the water.

Cafka once bubbled...

I've heard stories that on your first open water dives, you have to ditch your gear and swim for the surface in 33 feet of water.
Thanks,
Cafka

My OW course involved an "emergency" ascent where you constantly exhaled, simulating a sudden out of air incident. However, you still had your gear on, including reg in the mouth. The instructor maintained physical contact (to prevent or mitigate panic ascents, I assume) and watched for signs of cheating (breathing in) or panic/undue diestress. It seems like forever as you ascend, but even though there is some CO2 buildup discomfort, you still have plenty of air left in your lungs when you surface. I guess that whole "air in the lungs expanding" theory is accurate. :wink:

we didn't tread water for 10 minutes more like about 3, same with the floating, but I think it's completely pointless test anyway as its usually done in a swimming pool without a wetsuit, in the sea you're going to be more buoyant anyway because of the salt, more buoyant because of your wetsuit and you're going to have a BCD on, even if you run out of air you can manually inflate it ! Most people also cheated on the swimming test only doing 4 lengths of the pool instead of 6 !
If you're worried about being able to float or tread water for a long time I would suggest wearing a wetsuit in the swimming pool, it will help you stay afloat!

is this line:

Next weekend I'm going to be going through my OW course.

Are you doing your entire OW course in one weekend?

Please say no. I realize lots of people do it, but that by no means makes it safe.

If you decide to go through the puppy mill of dive training, please consider some extra training on top of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom