Thinking about a 60 foot snorkel….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble_Boy

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
60 foot is not that deep, why go through all the trouble of compressing air into tanks instead of making a 60 foot snorkel? The tip of the snorkel would float with a buoy at the surface and that's all there is to it no? I can orally inflate my BCD, and for safe practice I'd bring a pony along…
Anyone see a problem with my genius system?

Not to mention a lot of dead air space in such a long snorkel.

1. Pressure equalization
2. Dead air space

Pretty sure this won't work even with a 4' snorkel.

You might want to calculate out the volume of air contained in the snorkel, it should be somewhat larger than the volume of air you inhale and exhale in a single breath, resulting in you breathing the same air in and out repeatedly.

Don't think I'd classify this as a "genius system", but it does have potential to win a Darwin award. :D

Can your lungs exert enough force to overcome 2 atmospheres of pressure differential? Mine can't.

I would be worried if anyones could do that. :popcorn:

Bubbleboy, prove them all wrong, Try it, like you said 60' is not that deep, and you will have your pony with you.

Happy Diving

1. You couldn't inhale against that much water pressure. If breathing from a snorkle, you'd be using air at 1atm, but would have 2.8atm of pressure against your chest. Scuba works because it is delivered at ambient pressure (it matches external pressure at any given depth), but a snorkle wouldn't do that. That is why other 'surface supplied' air systems utilise compressed gas.

2. You'd be inhaling, exhaling and then inhaling again the same air from the snorkel. After a short while it would be de-oxygenated and CO2 levels would be toxic. You could design a clever 1 way valve and exhaust valve to remedy that, but #1 would still make it unworkable anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom