Thinking about a 60 foot snorkel….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol, I guess you all set me straight :p

If you want a more extensive discussion, look at the link I provided in post #8.

As I recall, the maximum depth that a person's muscles can over come the water pressure is a mere 3'. As other people have mentioned, there is the additional problem of the "dead" space of a snorkle. If it gets too long, your tidal volume will not exceed the volume in the snorkel. You will just keep rebreathing the old dead air. Another difficulty is the snorkel itself has to be able to keep from collapsing under the increased pressure. A fourth difficulty is the top of the snorkel. A wake from a passing boat could swamp the snorkel. Or even worse, a boat could just drive right over it. In some areas I have been, it seems as if the majority of the boaters have freely indulged in alcohol and stimulants.

I remember as a kid trying a similar experiment with a garden hose, but I found I couldn't inhale any deeper than about 4 feet under. Fortunately I gave up quickly otherwise the CO2 retention might have caused me to black out.

Okay, If you somehow managed to overcome the water pressure on your lungs you would need a way to get rid of the co2 in the snorkel. This means not breathing out through the same tube.
You should totally give is a shot though, on video of course. Just have a buddy down there ready to give you air when you realize it is impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom