interests...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekk Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Instead of checking everyone's profile...and hoping for an answer.. I'll just post this as a thread & hope for the best.

What got you interested in diving? Or, what caused you to get certified?

I've always loved the Cousteau movies. During a vacation in Florida with 3 friends I left a few days earlier and later had to hear from my friends over and over how fantastic the snorkeling in Key Largo was that I had missed.

A few years later I was near Key Largo and remembering this I made a point of going on a snorkeling trip. As soon as I stepped off the boat I booked my second snorkeling trip: I was hooked. That is also where I learned about recreational diving and the decision in my mind was made. The next year I spent a month in Miami and got my OW certification.

That's the story: it started 18 years ago.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

My wife! She said she wasn't going to fill my tanks for me or let me dive again till I was certified.. That was a year ago. It was worth it, she dives with me now, which makes those 20 or so years before I got certified seem kind of boring. :)

He is a good friend and one day he took me out and stuck a reg in my mouth and from that day on I have wanted and at this point am a diver. Now I am aiming to be a tech diver, thanks to some of the divers on this site.

I went on a cruise with a girlfriend (my first warmer climes trip) and she wanted to go snorkelling which I had never done before so I thought sure why not.

Well, as soon as I saw the underwater world I decided I needed to be down there!!

As soon as I got back home, I signed up for scuba class (without ever actually trying it) and never looked back. :)

Diverlady

I'd been snorkeling off the shore in Ft. Lauderdale, FL for a few years when we'd go there during the kids' Spring Break. We went snorkeling / glass-bottomed boat tour on our honeymoon 16 years ago.

My wife gave me the OW course for Father's Day. (She's thinking of getting certified, but although she is a great swimmer [competitively when younger] the idea of breathing underwater freaks her out a bit.)

Two of my three kids are old enough to be certified, but we'll see how that goes. A course in the winter and cert. dives in Florida next spring are a possibility!

-Rob

Learned to swim... loved it
Learned to snorkel... loved it
Diving was the next logical step.... :D (Plus the fact that I just love sports/hobbies that involve cool equipment.. lol)

I was in college, met a young woman I *really*liked who told me she was going to take a scuba class...and the rest is history...

Even took an extension course at the University called "underwater basket weaving" (I kid you not!).

That was nearly 20 years ago to the day...(Have no clue where the gal is...we went separate ways 6 mos or so after the class)

My 14 yr old son is now certified, and seems to like diving, although not to the extent that I do...His obsession is much more tame. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom