What is the best travel BC for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hvrietsc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am 5.11 and weigh 172. I am looking for a travel BC, so I tried the zuma at our lds, the medium one is way too short (I guess I have a long back). The large one is the right size length wise but the bottom strap can not be made tight enough. I guess my belly isn't big enough :wink: is there a way to fix the zuma so it would fit me, or does anyone have suggestions for other travel BC that I should try? I prefer quick release weight system.

Checkout the Zeagle Express tech. Retails for around 279 now. You can get it with different size wings, add a weight system (although I prefer to use a belt with mine and a weight pouch on each cam band. here's a review I did on it with pics of my actual set up. Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

I bought an Express Tech and dove with it for the first time over the last few days. I used a weight belt. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 175. I did not buy the crotch strap. I probably should have.

So far, I'm not very happy with the Express Tech. On the surface, the entire unit rides up until the waist belt is around my chest and I have trouble keeping my head above water. Under water the unit also rides up so that I was constantly banging my head on the first stage.

Tightening the waist belt doesn't help because that just shortens the shoulder straps causing the unit to stay too high.

I tried different amounts of weight on each of four dives. On the last dive I had just one kilo which was just enough to keep me submerged with 60 bar in the tank and zero air in the BCD. The thing was still too high for most of the dive.

For the next dives I've put a couple of strap keepers on the waist/should straps so that the waist strap can be adjusted more independently of the shoulder straps.

IMHO the Express Tech should ship with both the crotch strap and strap keepers.

I'd buy a crotch strap if I could get one, but the cost of shipping to Thailand is prohibitive.

I was reading the whole long thread on the zeagle. Definitely something I want to check out. I like the idea I can use it for all my diving not just for travel.

Why would you need to buy a crotch strap? Make one. I make all of my own. I go to a fabric store and buy a meter or two of 2 inch soft nylon webbing. Add 2 slides. Shipping to thailand for one that I make would be around $10. Price of the strap with slides would be $10.00. I've set up 4 express techs like this plus my own and the results are very dramatic. And I do agree that it should come with the strap. As for slides I use 2 of the plastic ones that are a little bigger than the steel ones. Mine were 50 cents each.

Anyone have any input on what travel BCD ar good except for the zeagle express tech?

I bought the Zeagle Stiletto as my travel bcd.. I like the construction, heavy duty and although I do not have hundreds of dives, I like the way it has operated the last 4 dives. Might need a crotch strap though...That's an easy fix!

Why would you need to buy a crotch strap? Make one. I make all of my own. I go to a fabric store and buy a meter or two of 2 inch soft nylon webbing. Add 2 slides. Shipping to thailand for one that I make would be around $10. Price of the strap with slides would be $10.00. I've set up 4 express techs like this plus my own and the results are very dramatic. And I do agree that it should come with the strap. As for slides I use 2 of the plastic ones that are a little bigger than the steel ones. Mine were 50 cents each.

Could you elaborate on the "slides" and where you purchase those? Thx.. I think I need a crotch strap for my Zeagle Stiletto..

You're on. I live in rural Thailand. I've never seen nylon webbing or any sort of slides for sale around here. Making my own would probably involve a trip to Bangkok.

Any dive shop should carry the slides.
Now as to getting one to you in Thailand- PM me for payment info. I will need a good address. $20 will get you one sent out this week. Let me also know your height, weight, and general build. Once I get payment from you I will pick up the material this week and send it out by Friday.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom