Going to Fort Lauderdale, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjone2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are heading to there on Thursday and are diving on Friday and curious what the visibility is, if anyone has been out there. We are looking forward for decent visibility. We are not sure what the visibility is going to be like after the storm Irene!!

I went snorkelling in Antigua a few days after Hurricane Louis struck back in 1995 (or was it '96?). Anyway, I will say that the visibility was very milky. I have also dived in Madagascar before and after a cyclone and it was very similar.

I would say, be prepared for the viz to be pretty poor, and hope for the best... then you might have a pleasant surprise.

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but after a storm like that, it does take a good few days for things to settle back down again, and only then will the silt and sand begin to fall back down to the bottom.

Having said that, it will have been nearly a week, so if the conditions have flattened out fairly quickly, by then things might well have cleared up enormously.

Hope you have a good one :D

Conditions vary at lot off Fort Lauderdale, including current and viz, with our without storms impacting them. You can call a lds in the area for the most recent conditions, such as Undersea Sports, 954-564-8661 or Lauderdale Divers 954-467-2822 or any other shop in the area.
DivemasterDennis scuba snobs.com

I expect the viz to return to pretty much normal by the end of this week in the Greater FTL/Tri-county area.
But then, what could I really know?
Chug
Not a mud diver.

Not to be a pain, but what is pretty much normal for the area?
I typically see 50ft or so almost everytime I've been

It is absolute mud off Vero Beach but I have heard people who went diving Sat in Boyntonn and today in Fort Lauderdale beach diving that had good luck.
We have a day off Wedsnesday and are thinking about heading to Lauderdale by the sea. Good Luck

agree with the vero beach mud. probably going to head to WPB or Jupiter either saturday or sunday. if conditions clear i may sneak off on a early morning VB beach dive later this week. but that is doubtful

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom