Blue Whale spotted off Redondo Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed.

We saw them last year during one of our dive charters out of Redondo. Amazing creatures.

8.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

More pictures here: diving and blue whales « these days

Saw a few Blue Whale spouts last night about 7 PM while running along the Esplanade.

I saw the blue whales on Labor Day during my way back to the mainland from boat diving in Catalina.

One of the larger concentrations of blue whales is in the region of the northern Channel Islands in summer due to the high concentration of krill. During cooler years (like last summer and this one), the whales are often seen further south as well. On a dive trip to San Miguel about a year or two ago, we saw five of them. There were two that were hanging out right off Avalon Bay. Two friends of mine were heading out to a dive site in a fast boat when a blue surface right in front of them off Catalina. They struck the whale, went airborn over it and there was $32,000 of damage to the drive train. Apparently the whale was unhurt.

I saw two on Labor Day just before a dive in Monterey Bay. No Photos.

Lots of trash can lid sized jelly fish though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom