When to upgrade a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscheier

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Aqua Lung Wave BC. It's a few yrs old and I bought it as my 1st BC. It seems to meet all my needs, however, just wondering why people upgrade or what the benefit of a different BC would offer. I only dive in warm water and will never need to dive w/ 2 tanks (not tech diving).

thanks

J

Honestly, if YOU don't see a need to upgrade, then DON'T upgrade. I custom design/build/modify my own BC's, because as a became an experienced diver, I learned enough about the limitations of existing/basic BC's that didn't meet my evolving needs, so I went the custom route. Everyone has different preferences/needs....I'm probably a much more demanding/perfectionist than you are, so my needs are very different than yours. In your case, I'd suggest you save your $ for other gear priorities/dive trips.

What modifications did you add?

+1 more for BP/ and wing. But I will ask if your BC is working for you why change?

I got a new BC when my old one didn't fit well any more. The old one was worn and had a small hole in the
bladder that had been patched with dry suit seal almost two years prior. It still held air and functioned well. It just didn't fit and sloshed around on me. I would have continued to use it if I hadn't gotten smaller.

I had a second hand wave as my first BC. I think it was brown by the time I'd decided to upgrade. The main reason for upgrading was finding an insanely good offer on a Zeagle Brigade. Even after I got the Brigade I still used the Wave for pool sessions. It's probably still in the storeroom at the Dive Centre I used to work at :D

If you're happy with your diving then stick with it.

The time to up grade is when your old BC will not do the job. If you are moving from tropical diving to cold drysuit diving you may need a new BC or vise versa if you are going from local drysuit diving to a lot of air travel you may need a ligher BC. If you are moving to tech diving, you need a new BC- another one actually, the one BC does all is a myth. And if you start swapping between radically different types of diving you will need 2 BCs there as well. The BP/wing stuff is mainly BS, if you are diving doubles they are the way to go, otherwise there are pleny of BCs that work just as well.

I have to agree, why switch when you love what you have? I've been diving with the same BC for 400 dives and have no intention of ever switching. When it wears out, I'm buying the same brand/style again! I've tried other BCs and a BP/W, but none were as perfect as my current BC, so no need to switch since it wouldn't be an "upgrade" IMO.

The BP/wing stuff is mainly BS
For a tropical diver, I pretty much agree. I am pretty close to indifferent between my vest-style BC and my backplate/wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom