Halcyon Infinity for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrancisK7

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a new diver, getting OWD certified in two weeks in some lake in Ontario. Water will be at around 4C-10C. Equipment rental fee for certification was included in the course's price, but since I also booked a trip to PDC/Cozumel for January, I'd like to buy my own gear. Thanks to the help of countless scubaboard posters, I was able to get great critiques and feedback on the regs, computers and BC I was considering. Only thing I need a little more help with is the BC.

At first I was considering a normal back inflate, but everyone I spoke to and their mothers suggested I get a BP&W and never look back. After more research, it seems many rave about the Halcyon Infinity system.

https://dansdiveshop.ca/store/index...id=481&zenid=32ec1ae7cfe353815f0a349fd384a4e0

I simply want to ask whether this BC is accessible even to the newest divers, or whether it's to "high end"? I imagine most BC are straightfoward, the one we use in training are vest-style so it's difficult to know whether I'd enjoy a BP&W. I figure, I might as well invest now and enjoy the BC for a long time. I can afford it no problem, I just want to make sure dropping 860$ on a BC for a new diver is completely senseless. I'd like to avoid buyer's remorse.

Do you suggest I get the weighted single tank adapter, 30 or 40 lbs wings? I'm 6'1" 217lbs if it matters.

Thank you for your time and counsel :)

My suggestion is to rent for a while and try out some stuff before you buy. BC are a pain to travel with so I would get other things first like a reg. Also depends on what kind of diving you do mostly: warm water travelling or cold local water mainly.

I'm a new diver, getting OWD certified in two weeks in some lake in Ontario. Water will be at around 4C-10C. Equipment rental fee for certification was included in the course's price, but since I also booked a trip to PDC/Cozumel for January, I'd like to buy my own gear. Thanks to the help of countless scubaboard posters, I was able to get great critiques and feedback on the regs, computers and BC I was considering. Only thing I need a little more help with is the BC.

At first I was considering a normal back inflate, but everyone I spoke to and their mothers suggested I get a BP&W and never look back. After more research, it seems many rave about the Halcyon Infinity system.

https://dansdiveshop.ca/store/index...id=481&zenid=32ec1ae7cfe353815f0a349fd384a4e0

I simply want to ask whether this BC is accessible even to the newest divers, or whether it's to "high end"? I imagine most BC are straightfoward, the one we use in training are vest-style so it's difficult to know whether I'd enjoy a BP&W. I figure, I might as well invest now and enjoy the BC for a long time. I can afford it no problem, I just want to make sure dropping 860$ on a BC for a new diver is completely senseless. I'd like to avoid buyer's remorse.

Do you suggest I get the weighted single tank adapter, 30 or 40 lbs wings? I'm 6'1" 217lbs if it matters.

Thank you for your time and counsel :)

Personally I'm a huge fan of Halcyon and in fact purchased a Eclipse system for single tank diving even though I already had BP/W dedicated to singles (mine was a different brand and was horseshoe shaped). But I purchased an ECLIPSE system... not an Infinity system... it's the same BP, same wing, just without some of the bells and whistles which for me are a bit overkill (for me!)

I'd recommend a steel backplate over aluminum - most people I know who have both use the steel way more than the aluminum. As to whether you need the weighted STA, it depends on how you are using the system, but if you are diving in anything but tropical locations I'd go ahead and get it. I think you are referencing a STA system that has an weighted insert that can be removed (for travel and the like).

If I had spent the money up front on this system I would have saved several hundred dollars in the long run. It makes sense, rather than being senseless. You may want to consider spending a little less, however, and skip some of the extra's like the padding and the cinch.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the question about 30 vs. 40 lbs - 30 lbs.

No reason why a new diver wouldn't benefit from a BP/W. I wish I'd gotten one first.

However, there's little good reason to pay such a premium for one. Before you pull the trigger, investigate other brands, too. E.g., Deep Sea Supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I had started in a BPW. I didnt even know what one was until a few years ago. Years and years ago when I was certified no one discussed them. Once I bought my infinity I never looked back, and will never dive another bc. It literally changed my entire feel and comfort in the water. One local instructor starts his students in bpw from the get go and I've never seen better trimmed newbies.

I love Halcyon's products. Some of their products are slightly more expensive, but the build quality makes it worth it. If you put together the cost of everything in an infinity bc (harness, plate, wing, weight pouches, can light assembly, dring assembly) it's not much more than piecing together a different brands gear. I have an eclipse with 40lb wing and ss plate for singles and an aluminum plate infinity for my doubles. I love the infinity because all you do is pull and loosen and you're out. Watch the videos on their site. It works that simply. Without the cinch system, you can not easily loosen anything, so once it's set its set. I like the cinch for two reasons. I go between multiple wet suit sizes and drysuit, and don't want to have to always adjust. Also with the cinch when I'm crammed on the bench on a boat I don't have to bend into a pretzel to get out or into it like other wing divers.

I would recommend diving with someone who's dove one before so after your purchase they can help you set it up and cut the webbing. It's not a jump in and dive bc like a rec bc. There is some customization, but don't be afraid of it. That's half the fun.

I can say that moving to bpw and moving from al to steel tanks were the two transforming moments in my diving after 17 years.

PM me if you have any questions.

I'm about the same size(6'2"215 14%BF) And if your diving cold water45º-50º wet you'll be in a 7mm-9mm suit so the SS back plate will take some weight off your waist and center it a little more.I searched quite a bit and found numerous suggestions on SB. I went with a new Hollis Elite( center strap & buckles for better fit with wide chest) for under$70 ,Hammerhead makes a nice SS backplate with weighted STA 12lb.s total(which you dont have to use for warm water) for about $125 and Ebay for a 45lb lift wing that can be used for singles or Doubles if I decide to go that way. I have a mares Back inflate BC now that I like & will use for travel ,but if I had known I probably would have started out with BP/W.Hope this helps.

I rented a Halcyon Eclipse for an OW class and I thought it was great. I don't see any reason why it would be "too advanced" for a beginner. Although the rest of the class were wearing "the usual" vest BC's, there was nothing that I couldn't do along with them, including don & doff, etc.

Now for a bit of back-story: I was originally certified in 2005, with the usual type vest BC. It was a bit of a "quickie" class, and plus I only dived four times after that because I could NEVER find a BC to fit me, and it just made diving really frustrating and un-fun. But I wanted to love it. So in late 2009 I came here and read about the backplate and wing. I started a thread to see if people thought that might help me out, and someone suggested renting one.

So, long story short, I arranged a trip to the Keys with a non-diving friend, and we took the OW class together (me as a refresher and my buddy for the first time). I rented a Halcyon Eclipse for that class.

I now own my own BC, and it is a backplate/wing (never went back to the other kind). Although I really liked the Halcyon, I went with a different brand (DSS) because I wanted a smaller/shorter backplate and a smaller/narrower wing. Same exact concept though.

So, is a backplate and wing right for you? I can't answer that although obviously I really like mine. Is the Halcyon Eclipse "too advanced" for a beginner? I don't think so, since I used one in the OW class :)

Some of the answers here are typical...for people who are unfamiliar with the Infinity System. It's not about padding--technically it's optional. I like the padding because it keeps the webbing from being too 'limp' and makes donning easier--it's also kinder to my Fusion. The cinch works well, especially if you'll be switching exposure protection (trying out drysuits for example). One option is to purchase the Halcyon stainless steel backplate only--you can use it with almost any other wing and single tank adapter. You can then add all the rest of the components if you want.

Some of the answers here are typical...for people who are unfamiliar with the Infinity System. It's not about padding--technically it's optional. I like the padding because it keeps the webbing from being too 'limp' and makes donning easier--it's also kinder to my Fusion. The cinch works well, especially if you'll be switching exposure protection (trying out drysuits for example). One option is to purchase the Halcyon stainless steel backplate only--you can use it with almost any other wing and single tank adapter. You can then add all the rest of the components if you want.

I am not sure what you meant that it is "not about the padding" - as I mentioned, the padding and the cinch seem to be the only difference between the Infinity and the Eclipse systems?!?!:

From the Halcyon website:
Cinch Quick-adjust (patent pending); infinitely adjustable with a simple push or pull of the webbing vs. Complete Secure Harness; infinitely adjustable and designed to fit you perfectly
Halcyon Deluxe Harness Pads featuring a Storage Pak for convenient stowage of lift devices vs. Halcyon Storage Pak for convenient stowage of lift devices

Both "systems" come with:
Choice of Aluminum or Stainless Steel Backplate; standard or small size
ACB10 weight pockets
Stainless steel Single-Tank Adapter with two cam straps; accommodates a weighted insert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom