Trimix Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dantfarley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be taking my advanced Trimix this January and have been saving for a new computer. I'm not the individual who wants to buy more than one and keep upgrading. I'm not interested in CCR, just looking for advice and knowledge from other experienced divers to point me in the right direction.

VPlanner, bottom timer and slates. Get to understand how you want to deco and get something that fits those needs. Different DC’s have different algorithms. Dive of slates, once comfortable get a computer.

I dive a cochran emc 20h and am very happy with it despite all the negative flap and bandwidth it has recieved. The pricepoint was even more to like at 350.00 gently used as everyone rushed to get the newest and best unit. For OC it can not be beat IMHO.
Eric

I dive a VRX and like it.

But the Liquid Vision looks very nice. I'd consider that if I was buying now.

I went from an EMC-20H to a Predator SA and breathed a major sigh of relief. The EMC-020H is ok in open water and if set anywhere near the liberal end of the conservatism settings, will get you out of the water faster than just about anything else on the planet. I would not recommend anything under 30% for conservatism.

The EMC-20H runs into issues when you can't control the profile - as in cave diving - due to the automatic gas switching. It takes a great deal of effort, pre dive planning and exact knowledge of the cave profile, dive times, etc, to defeat that less than desireable feature to prevent it from insisting you are on a shallow deco gas when you are really on back gas.

The display on the EMC-20H is much harder to read and in fact about 20% of male divers out there have a great deal of trouble reading the display on the red black lighted EMC-20Hs.

The Shearwater takes an entirely different approach. First, the OLED display is stunningly easy to read even with middle aged eyes. The Predator is very simple in over all layout and operation, is intuitive to use and has an excellent user interface that allows full programing on the unit in a matter of a minute or so. It also does not automatically switch anything and assumes you, as the diver, actually have the brain and know what the gasses and settings should be. It will advise you when you can make a switch, but it leaves the decision up to you. You can also reprogram gasses during the dive if desired/needed and with one of the more recent updated, you can pre-program up to 5 gasses but then leave them inactive on a given dive, making it easier to add/switch between standard gasses over a series of dives. Shearwater is very repsonsive to user input and has frequent firmware updates that include very nice upgrades and improvements.

The Predator also has a very useable dive planning mode, and if you re-run it with each deco gass separately you can use it for the lost gas contingency plans as well.

In short, it is pretty much the polar opposite of an EMC-20H and well worth the extra cost. A key thing to consider is that a used EMC-20H is a common find, usually at a sub $400 proce point. Finding a used Predator for sale is a lot less common and they sell for a lot more money, suggesting the perceived value of the Predator is much higher.

----

That said, the standard advice it to start your trimix career with a bottom timer and some type of computr softward to cut tables for the primary, contingency and lost gas plans. It gets you in the habit of also doing the gas planning rather than short cutting the process (although by advanced trimix you should have that down) and it lets you also develop a better feel for the deco curves at various depths and run times with various deco gasses.

V-Planner is often mentioned but on a laptop or netbook I pefer GAP. In the real world I tend to use iDeco on my iPhone as it is always there, very convenient to use and produces profiles you can save as text or e-mail to yourself. I recently acquired a very useable waterproof bag for it so I have no real concern using it on a boat.

I will be taking my advanced Trimix this January and have been saving for a new computer. I'm not the individual who wants to buy more than one and keep upgrading. I'm not interested in CCR, just looking for advice and knowledge from other experienced divers to point me in the right direction.
There are several very functional, and popular trimix-capable computers out there. The Shearwater is certainly one of them. I use a Liquivision X1 as my primary, and find the display to also be incredible for my late middle age eyes, plus I love the ease of changing screens, gases, etc. The X1 had some challenges, primarily with depth sensors that caused a number of early units to fail (mine included), and cost the company quite a bit to replace. But, they did so wisely, the company is stable, and the current dual ceramic sensor version appears rock solid. I highly recommned it. I also dive a Suunto Helo2, which I like, and which is substantially less expensive than the X1. Of the two, the X1 has a far more readable display and the tap function is easier to use than the buttons on the Helo2. But, the Helo2 is fully functional. It uses a somewhat more conservative algorithm than some other units, but the difference is not substantive, at least to me.

I don't see a problem with buying a trimix-capable computer. In your training, you will start with a bottom timer, deco software and dive plans / run times transferred to slates, irrespective of how many computers are strapped to your arms, at least you should. The computers are a back-up. But, a 'nice to have' back-up once you move into real trimix diving.

Everything is on a learning curve. As yet I appear to have better eyes than 20% of male divers. The emc20h was a great improvement to me over the nitek duo that I gave away. In the end the computer is a tool, everyone has their favorites until they find a tool they like better.
As a tool strategy I dive the cochran set to 0 on conservancy. In the unpredictable ocean it gives me an option to get out real quick if need be and go on boat o2. Sans an emergancy I pad the stops to jibe with the cut tables.
Eric
p.s. as long as you nice cave divers keep sending out that nice video, I will not have to go! lol

As a tool strategy I dive the cochran set to 0 on conservancy. In the unpredictable ocean it gives me an option to get out real quick if need be and go on boat o2. Sans an emergancy I pad the stops to jibe with the cut tables.
Of the divers I know who still have them, that is exactly how they use them - as a backup/bailout/get-me-to-the surfac-ASAP-when-the-boat-has-to-leave-in-a-hurry tool.

Otherwise they just use Predators...

Now to be fair, if I was still primarily a great lakes or NE/Mid Atlantic wreck diver, I'd probably still have my EMC-20H, but I had a hard time justifying keeping it once most of my diving was cave diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom