Diving Catalina on Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwhite6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After much waiting, I am finally going to get to do a Catalina Island dive. I am coming into LAX on Sunday morning and taking the Express to the island at 2pm. I will be doing a guided dive with Catalina Divers Supply in the late afternoon. I am going with a guide as I am a new diver and I have never dived in the local conditions there. I am so excited. I am also planning on doing the Wednesday night dive at Vet's. I have my main and backup lights I borrowed here. Sleeping Saturday night is going to be hard!!!!

I'll try to be there on Wed night. Between 7:30 and 8. Remember to bring tons of quarters!

There is usually a good crowd at vets on Wednesday nights. If all goes well I will be there in my new drysuit.:D

Enjoy diving "my" island... someone has to do it while I'm in Florida. Watch out for those torpedo rays though!

There's going to be a bunch of us there at Vets on Wednesday, so we can find you a buddy. Just be sure to bring about $1.50 - $2.50 in quarters ($1 / hour) and your lights.

The dive was a blast. I went with a guide from Catalina Divers Supply. He was really nice and kept a careful eye on me. We moved alot though. Being new to diving and cold water, I burned through my gas down to 500psi in 35 minutes. I would liked to have stayed put and looked at stuff a little more. I will remember to communicate that next time. We went down to 76' and saw a bunch of interesting things. I floated and watched two torpedo rays swimming 5 feet away for a little while. I wore a 7mm suit and a hood and I was not cold at all. Even in the deeper water. I even read Dr. Bill's column in the Avalon paper while waiting on the boat! I will be there Wednesday night at Vets. I just got off the phone with Sea D Sea and lined my gear rental up. Even getting a LP95 to dive with. I will be the tall redneck with the red beard and yellow LSU hat. See ya'll then.

Enjoy diving "my" island... someone has to do it while I'm in Florida. Watch out for those torpedo rays though!
We saw two torpedo rays. My guide pulled me next to him and we watched them swim around about 5 to 10 feet from us. They were really cool to see. I read your column in the Avalon paper. I didn't know you were famous! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom