Gonna wet 2 more tanks this year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I thought I was done, really did, rinsed and stored my gear weeks ago - it gets cold here, and I dive wet.

Turns out this weekend is a guys weekend - a friend of mine has a cottage on a private lake, and each fall a bunch of us guys get together sans our long-haired bosses and chillax. I dove his lake my first dive this summer, my first ever cold water dive, my first ever dive with all of my own gear, my first post-cert dive. Suffice to say, there was a fair bit of task loading, and it was more about the gear and what I was doing than it was about what was around me.

I know the SI will suck, but Saturday is supposed to go to 10C. At least I can get warm in the cottage, not like I am outside like I would be at the quarry.

Water can't be any colder yet than the 8C I had in Victoria in September or in the quarry at depth.

I am talking myself into this - can you tell I want to get wet?

I am actually looking quite forward to it! Brought my tanks to the LDS and had them filled tonight, gear checked out and ready to go!

It also helps we plan on doing a prime rib on the Komodo... mmmmmmm......

You could just sit inside and drink beer :) sounds like a good reason to go, have lots of fun!!

You could just sit inside and drink beer :) sounds like a good reason to go, have lots of fun!!

That was me before I got my cert last year, and before I had my own gear. Just think how much better the beer and prime rib will taste after a couple of tanks.

It's amazing what this addiction can make you do isn't it? Who knew one could look forward to jumping into flippin cold water not once, but twice! I might recommend a cup of hot chocolate to warm up before the beer though lol

There is the barrel sauna (similar to this Barrel Saunas, Royalton Minnesota ).

Of course, we generally follow this with a jump off of the dock, which kind of impairs any long term warming benefits LOL.

Drysuits rule. Year-long diving. Never really have to stop because of discomfort or cold and totally worth the extra investment. I'd assume that in Ottawa, the water is a lot chillier than Victoria, which is around 7-8 degrees Celsius now.

But I do know people who are still diving wetsuits now. Personal preference, I guess.

I hear that Home Depot is running the seasonal clearance on Chainsaws.

You'll be wanting one of those very soon, too.

You've obviously chewed through your leather restraints, but that won't work on lake ice.

:rofl3:

Yeah, you should be fine. This time of year I don't even consider a 2nd dive in a day. Just too much trouble to walk back to the basement, take off all the wet stuff for a pee and a SI then put it all back on wet. I never bought a drysuit because we usually snowbird 3 months after Christmas (Miss. this year). Yet I don't like to go more than a couple of weeks without a dive, just to keep the routine in tact. Have done that through the winter twice, which gets pretty hairy when the water gets in the 35F range, and I'm lucky to get 20 minutes of a dive in.

Not as cold down south, but have to dive- the bottom of the quarry is suppose to be 38F, top a balmy 50F. As other have mentioned, just feel I need to get in the water to keep everything current. What is the cause of this sickness....

Whatever it is, Sunday morning I'll be wet and hopefully warm enough, but without a heated lodge between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom