Another first BC question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let me preface this question by saying I don't want to downplay the importance of a BC. That said, my question is, if an inexpensive BC fits comfortably, is there any reason not to buy it?
While I can see the importance of not getting a "cheap" regulator or computer, I don't see that with a BC. Am I missing any critical aspect of the BC? Do expensive ones perform any differently than inexpensive ones?
If I have a limited budget for gear, and plan on buying a more expensive regulator/computer setup, can I skimp on the BC? If not, I'm willing to rent and wait to buy, but I don't want to spend if I don't have to.

As long as it fits and functions correctly, no problem at all. BCs are way over rated in importance, if it holds the tank and you are properly weighted you should not need to use it much at all during the dive. Mine is used as a surface float 99% of the time, almost never is it touched while diving. Just don't pay too much for it, there are a lot of quite servicable but older BCs to be had for little cash.
As for regs, don't get caught up in the BS about buying the most expensive reg you can afford, that is pure BS. While there is a difference between a bottom of the line no name brand and the mid and upper range of major brands, there is little difference in the mid range regs of any of the name brands and the top of the line in any brand. If you study them carefullly, you will find that within a given brand the major difference between their mid range reg and their top of the line model is shinny but uselss bling and "features" of questionable value. Most of the base parts are identical.

Dito. Fit is most important. Do you want weight integrated or not? A.I.R. II or auto inflator and Oct.? Jacket, front adj. or backfloatation. Is color important?

If not, then you can get a closeout B.C. for next to FREE with purchase of reg and computer.

I know money is tight. You can find lots of good deals on used BC's on here and other online sites. I really wanted new regs for me and the GF though. After lots of looking I found the HOG's which come highly recommended. Now is the time to buy as they have an amazing holiday sale on right now (cheeper then used gear). I ordered from, Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services Jim is a great guy to deal with and a very helpful member here.

If it is a less expensive the op is looking for how does $199 for a weight integrated jacket bc sound?
It sounds excellent. My problem, as I see it, is that all I've ever used have been random BCs during pool time and check out dives. I'm not sure I'd even know what a correct fit is without an experienced diver checking it out on me.

I would recommend renting different types of B.C.'s and go diving!

Just also remember that sometimes you get what you pay for. What good is a BC that you might have to replace after one or two seasons. Or gets a hole in it if just sees a wreck. I think that with a cheaper BC you might be adding risk to having to buy another as apposed to spending a little extra for a better quality product that will last you for some time. Do research and read reviews from people that have bought and used it (not from pros that are getting paid to say nice things about it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom