Took the leap and bought it all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddbr

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I took the HUGE monetary leap and bought all of my gear at one time. My bank account is still in recovery but hopefully will pull through! So, I wanted to get everyone’s opinion as to my gear selection (even though the deed is already done and I really can return it now). I dive in the NW so primarily cold water. I am a little worried that my reg not holding up in the cold but we will see. Here is the list:

Bare Nex-Gen dry suit with the CT200 polartech undergarment, tech boots and 7mm zippered dryhood.

Scubapro MK16/R380 primary with the Scubapro octo and pressure gauge

Zeagle Escape BC

Panview 4 window mask and genesis fins.

Atmos 2 computer

I still need a primary dive light, gear bag, dry gloves and a tank.

I am having buyers remorse!!! You hit the nail on the head. I did some research and spoke with a lot of locals and just bought. I think the equipment will be fine, it's just one of those things when you spend money and then wonder "could I have gotten something better for the same price?" Oh well, it will be fine:)

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Of course you could have gotten something better for the same money. Thats true whether you're buying cars, houses, stocks, or scuba gear.

But, you got what you got. The key to enjoyment now is to get out and dive it. Over time you'll tweak this and that, and wind up with a closet full of regrets that you don't use anymore. Join the crowd.

What counts is how much fun you have using it. That's the real return on your investment. What other people think and what might have been are sort of not worth worrying about now.

Go diving. The sooner the better.

Doc

I like your attitude:) I am a little worried about the scubapro reg. They said it will be fine but it is not environmentally sealed like a lot of the cold water regs. I don't want it to freeze up. The water is around 45 to 50 degrees. Anyone ever had any problems with Scubapro in cold water?

The only thing I cringed about was the underwear you got - I have the same ones.

The Next gen suit is a good suit at an excellent price - really hard to beat. But Bare's underwear leaves some things to be desired.

The Undies are warm - I'll give it that. Been in <40 deg several times with nothing but the undies on underneath, and stayed as warm as the others.

The legs on these suckers are cut way huge - especially in the lower legs. And what do huge airspaces do when diving? Trap air.
And depending on the fit (height wise), if the legs are bunched up in the bottom of the suit, its near impossible to get the air out.

Another thing I don't like is the polartec has zero stretching ability. Put your arms over you head, or try doing a valve drill - you'll feel like your in a straightjacket.

And while I'm ripping on Bare here - I find anyplace that has sewn seems - like the underwear, gloves..... the stitching sucks. Period. My gloves and underwear have all given way at the seams. I restiched everything myself with fishing line. I floss with stronger and thicker thread than Bare uses for holding things together.

Other than that, hope your bank account recovers and you enjoy all your new gear immensely!

Dive safe

SS

Portland, huh?

Its time for a roadtrip. Pack up all your new stuff (don't forget your buddy) and drive up to Hoodsport on the Hood Canal. Destination is Hood Sport & Dive, right by Sund Rock. Call first, (360) 877-6818 to lock on lodging. Its like $75 for the weekend in the trailer, and thats with about 6 air fills and access to the 'Rock. Walk into the shop and ask for Mike. He looks like a large biker, but can discuss gas physics on a molecular level. Bring him beer. Tell him I sent you for spiritual guidance. He will lead you down the path to wisdom and serenity, diving-wise.

You won't regret the weekend. Good diving there.

Doc

Thanks for the info on the undergarment. That may be something I can switch out. What do you recommend?

I have this first stage and I've had it in water temps in the 40's with no problem. It has a TIS (thermal insulation system, or something like that) that is designed for cold water. I don't have the R380 2nd, so I can't speak to that, but your first stage should be fine.

Rachel

I can't speak for most of your items. But, I dive in the NE and own a Scubapro MK25/S600 reg. I've been in water down to ~44F. So far (knock, knock, knock) so good.

Other than that, go diving and you'll see that it was all worth it in the long run. Have FUN!!!

David

Back
Top Bottom