Technical Rescue Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Major bump!

I had never, ever heard of this class. I stumbled across it today and decided to see if it had been discussed here on ScubaBoard. I find it interesting because I dive off a boat that frequently has tech divers on board and another recent thread on ScubaBoard advocating (rightfully so) keeping your rescue skills up to date and knowing how to assist divers in sidemount, hog loop, rebreather and so on.

I found this page:

PADI TecRec Technical Rescue Diver Course |

It made a couple assertions that I scratched my head:

When reviewing standards how to deal with a diver that convulse underwater we then realized that the procedures needed to be updated. All organizations are talking about signs and symptoms of Oxygen Toxicity but few, if any, gave any specifics how to deal with it. We have standardized that procedure and got it approved as an effective method by the technical board of PADI EMEA.

I'd think this needs to be covered at the recreational level.

The second most common cause of accidents was poor buoyancy control leading to omitted deco or ineffective deco. So lots of skill practice was focused on self-rescue skills like trim and buoyancy and emergency procedures related to omitted deco.

This one floors me. If you don't have buoyancy control mastered, what are you doing deco dives for?

Third most common accident was running out of gas during deco.

Again, really?

Another aspect is the team aspect of technical diving which is covered in the outline and the psychology of peer pressure etc and the importance to dive within the limits of your experience and your training.

Doesn't sound like a very good "team" to me. We all know the mantra.

Anyways, interesting food for thought this morning.

NASE's xTek entry level Tek Basics includes Rescue. xTEK Basics & Rescue

It focuses on skills & gear including Rescue required to exceed recreational limits but does not exceed those recreational limits. It preps divers to move into deco diving with a solid skill base.

I wish them the best of luck, but as far as I have seen the most common cause of accidents in tech diving is breathing the wrong mix at depth. There does seem to be a focus on preventing emergencies, which is always a good thing. NAUI does not have a separate Tech Rescue course as rescue skills for tech divers are covered in the individual courses.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom