question about bcd/wings and inflating too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a bp/w and i have a question as to what happens if you inflate the wing too much?
it happened to me today where i inflated too much and a weird noise happened which i presume air was bursting through the rear dump valve. only one dump valve on my wing.
I hope i havent damaged anything, it still works fine after that etc but i try not to overinflate it now.

wont hurt it .. It's designed to not allow over inflation
... BC manufacturers wouldnt want it to pop like a balloon :shocked: :wink:

ah thats great then, its happened a few times and the noise it makes when theres too much always gets me

Specifically the noise you are hearing the the OPV (Over-Pressure Valve) blowing off gas, and doing its job.

The Air Dump is also an OPV. It automatically pushes air out when there's too much pressure inside. :wink:

I have a bp/w and i have a question as to what happens if you inflate the wing too much? . . . its happened a few times and the noise it makes when theres too much always gets me
As D_B said, you are not damaging it. A more important question is why is this happening. Are you in the water, and (over)inflating at the surface, is it happening u/w? On shore, during gear set up and checking?

Nitro, this shouldn't be happening, especially in the water. If on the surface you need only enough air in the wing to lean back and achieve comfortable floatation. If you are under water and you are inflating this much you are likely over-weighted or too heavy-handed on the inflator button. Something isn't right ........ however no damage done to the equipment.

Won't hurt it. In fact I over inflate every pre dive gear check m

I only ever inflate on the water, or from going off shore and into the water. never had to inflate underwater.
I just held it for too long i guess as i wanted full inflation lol.
now i only inflate enough and still does same job of keeping me afloat on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom