How do you think people really think when you mention you scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering how poeple really thinkings when you mention you scuba dive, not necessarily the scuba diving part, but talking about the different fish or corals you see. Does it kind of make them think you are more like the sedate birdwatchers instead of the adventurous parachuters? I know if you talk about wreck or cave diving, they might view it as challenging or adventurous. But then who ever goes to the aquarium and talk to their friends about the fish they saw.

Most of the people I mention it to seem to feel I am doing something extremely dangerous. Like I have more guts than anyone they know and I am in danger of getting eaten or drowning. Others view it as a novelty, like the explorer who gets to see things others only dream about.

When diving is mentioned most people (blokes) think of warm water scanty glad dive mistresses - I mention UK diving and there is usually one expression on the face - it goes along the lines of Spot the Looney - at times it is hard not to sympathise :)

Most people ask a lot of Q&A, however women seem to ask more in detail about how its like.

Living in Puget Sound the first question I usually get is "Isn't it cold?"

I especially like it when the kids ask me what I see down there ...

"Oh, octopus and sharks and mermaids" ...

"Wow ... MERMAIDS !?!"

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I talk to everyone I know or meet about diving, as does my wife and dive buddy Debbie. People are always interest and fascinated. Some are envious, some are curious, but not one has ever said "that's stupid," or "you should find something better to do with your time." When we talk about things we've seen, people are always interested, never dismissive, especially if it is something unique- like twelve mantas doing a ballet during a night dive in Kona or a "turtle dance" with these soulful sea creatures that are Debbie's favorite. Pretty much everyone we know knows we dive, and they are always anxious to hear about our last excursion. Curiously, we have had several people ask if it's "claustrophobic." Our response- for us its just the opposite- ultimate freedom and infinite vistas to enjoy.
DivemasterDennis (and ScubadivaDebbie)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom