help? can I snorkel with one leg in a waterproof leg cast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsygal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi ,

We are leaving for Puerto Morelos in 17 days for 4 weeks, and I (hope??) to get a waterproof leg and ankle cast next week.

I have fractured the metatorsal (3 bones ) and some damage to the tendonon right foot. Dr says no weight bearing for 6 weeks, but surely she can patch me so I can go snorkelling there. I usually snorkel an average of 3 hours daily. HAve to find a way to kayak as well. Can I do this using only 1 fin, will the casted leg be too heavy?

I am thinking??

I can walk from beach house using crutches to water's edge and sit on down and get my gear on (one foot) and float away? Is this nuts? Someone please help me with this. I can not take 4 weeks of wheelchair and crutches and no snorkelling or kayaking. I have come to terms with no walks or runs on the beach.

Any suggestions for me?? Thanks in advance.:(

Seriously blew my 5th metatarsal running with the dogs over rocks in the local park. My medical aid unit max favorite longtime proven right doc said that he knows that I'll do what I want, (not what he says) and it will take six to eight months depending on me. I got the boot and stayed "on the edge of it" meaning if I could feel anything I backed off. Took six months, sorry. I DO feel your pain. Look at your X-rated pics, they first fill with cartilage then ossify. No shortcuts, sorry luv.

Keep your horizon level some other way...

Oh no! that is not what I want to hear!

However I am bringing a wheelchair with us ,and I am mentally preparing myself for a very different vacation this year. Oh well, could be worse? Thanks for note.

It really depends on what you fractured, and how bad the breaks are. When you go in for the cast change, explain to the doc what it is you want to do. He'll tell you if it's feasible.

I don't know of any cast material, including fiberglass, that's designed to withstand immersion -- not to mention that the lining fabric will get wet and be difficult to dry. But if they can immobilize your injury sufficiently in a cast boot, you might have a chance at swimming.

The bottom line is that, no matter how painful the waiting is, you are better off doing what they tell you to do and letting the bones heal, than you are pushing your limits and ending up with a non- or malunion. Feet are important; we walk on them every day. Chronic foot pain takes a toll out of every step. Be compliant. It's the better road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom