Suunto D6 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you happen to go through the owner's manual?

I do not have the owners manual......just need someone skilled in the processes of this computer to please walk me through it.............is it possible that earlier models did not have these modes?

When you experienced this issue with your D6, had you dived with the computer in Gauge mode within the last 48 hours?

After diving the D6 in Gauge mode, your computer will prevent selection of Air or Nitrox/EAN modes until you have off-gassed sufficiently (24-48 hours?) to achieve a "naive" nitrogen-loading state.
The reason for this is that the computer does not hold nitrogen-loading information in its memory while in Gauge Mode. Therefore, switching over prematurely to Air or Nitrox/EAN modes would over-estimate NDLs as determined by the Suunto modified RGBM algorithm. Hence, Suunto programmers devised the safety feature which you encountered. FWIW, all Suunto dive computers with a Gauge mode function this way.

Excerpt from Page 71 of the D6 Manual:
If you dive with the GAUGE mode, it is not possible to change between the modes before the no fly time has counted down.

Excerpt from Page 74 of the D6 Manual:
In the Permanent Error mode and Gauge mode the no-fly time is 48 hours.

If this does not explain your issue, I recommend downloading and re-reading the D6 manual.

Hope this helps...

I do not have the owners manual......just need someone skilled in the processes of this computer to please walk me through it.............is it possible that earlier models did not have these modes?

My question was not a smart*** comment. It is amazing the info you will find on the Suunto webpage that is computer specific including the user's guide, the shortcut sheet (to help you navigate through the menus and sub-menus), etc. Also, you might be interested in dowloading their Dive Manager|Dive planner tool (Air, Nitrox, Trimix) considering it is based on the same algorythm as your computer.

Sorry for the motherhood, but you will gain tremendously in knowledge about your D6 if you go at least once through the guide as it will help you understanding the many intricacies of your computer .

That is exactly the issue I am facing- thank you ..............
You're welcome. You aren't the first person to get tripped up by this safety feature.

FWIW, any person who owns a Suunto computer with a Gauge mode would have been able to correctly identify this issue.

RTee gives good advice. Reading the manual for a dive computer is a critical step that a lot of divers skip. I've found the Suunto manuals to be well written and rather clear. YMMV.

Enjoy the computer...

Back
Top Bottom