First BCD purchase... seller is offering ScubaPro Knighthawk BCD for...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surf n Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to purchase my first BCD. A seller off CL is selling his ScubaPro Knighthawk BCD for $395 (obo). Claimed to have only used it once. Would you buy this BCD at this price or offer lower? If so, what should I look for when looking over the BCD. Is bringing a reg and air tank to check it out a must?

I have read countless posts on here on how many people prefer BP/W. This leaves a question in my mind if I should avoid this offer and pursue a BP/W setup. I read a post regarding a Halycon setup and googled it only to find the setup ran almost $900 retail. Yikes.

Please help guide a rookie on if he should buy this BCD, pursue BP/W, or....

Thanks!

I would wait. Do more research and determine what type of BC really fits your style of diving.

As for the Halcyon system, it's analogous to a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. It looks amazing and performs very well, but there are plenty of other bp/w systems that function equally as well without costing as much.

That's a lousy price. You can get a NEW ONE AT LEISUREPRO FOR $375, with a two-year warranty and no Craig's List risk. They are often negotiable on price. Did the one offered on CL have an Air II? That will affect the price comparison (adds $125 at LeisurePro).

I bought a new ScubaPro Classic Sport from LeisurePro for $275 not too long ago. It was later offered at $200, since it is a discontinued model.

You can get a BP/W for much less than the Halcyon. Take a look at DEEP SEA SUPPLY. They have high-quality gear--not the cheapest, but much more reasonable than Halcyon. I usually dive a Deep Sea Supply rig. In my opinion it is a better choice than the Knighthawk.

I have a Scubapro Knighthawk with an Air 2. It's a good system if all you want to do is recreational, single tank diving and you don't spend much time floating on the surface. If you want to get into doubles or sling stages or deco bottles or if you're on the surface getting or giving instruction then the Knighthawk is not a good choice. If I had to start over I would get a BP&W from DSS. I just got my son his first gear, a BP&W from DSS.

As a general rule of thumb, I usually pay only half of the retail price (or common street price) for used gear in good condition.
I used to own a Scubapro Knighthawk and I sold it to get a backplate/wing. When I got rid of it, I sold it for $300 which was a fair price.
I would not pay $395 for a used one, even if it's only seen minimal use...it's still used.

If you were already on the hunt for that specific BC, then offer $300. If you were not looking for that particular BC, but just happened to see it for sale....then just keep looking for EXACTLY what you want.

I wouldn't pay $400 for ANY used BC out there....when a brand new Deep Sea Supply back plate/wing complete rig can be had for $465...new car smell and everything.

If that's not to your taste, and you really wanted a Knight hawk all along.....well, you already know my opinion on their value.

I am much happier with the DSS rigs that my wife and I now dive.

**There's a reason DSS is so widely and highly recommended here. :)

-Mitch

I will echo what appears to be the emerging consensus:
Looking to purchase my first BCD. A seller off CL is selling his ScubaPro Knighthawk BCD for $395 (obo). Claimed to have only used it once. Would you buy this BCD at this price or offer lower?
Wouldn't buy it at that price. Wouldn't pay more than $200.
Surf n Scuba:
If so, what should I look for when looking over the BCD. Is bringing a reg and air tank to check it out a must?
Look for FIT, first and foremost. Does it fit YOU? If so, then look at the general condition - any significant fading, any tears in the fabric, is the inflator hose in good conditionn, does the inflator itself function properly (both power inflate and oral inflate), do the pull dumps appear to function properly? Finally, inflate it and see if it holds air - overnight test is best, although that is tough when you are buying it, so you might ask the selller to inflate it the day before you come to inspect it (sure, a seller can scam this, but most won't). A reg and tank are not a must. OK to have, defnitely not a must.
Surf n Scuba:
I have read countless posts on here on how many people prefer BP/W. This leaves a question in my mind if I should avoid this offer and pursue a BP/W setup. I read a post regarding a Halycon setup and googled it only to find the setup ran almost $900 retail. Yikes.
A BP/W system for $900, even with the magical blue H, is outrageous. You can do MUCH better. The Knighthawk is a good, back-inflate BCD. Nothing wrong with it. It has more lift than is needed for single cylinder diving (unless you get a 'S' size), but that is not a 'deal breaker'. If the CL oppportunity was for a relatively new Knighthawk, for $200, that fit you like a glove, you would not make a mistake to buy it. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to investigate a BP/W set-up. If so, contacting Tobin, at Deep Sea Supply, is a very good idea. While I now prefer a BP/W, I realize that not everyone does, so I won't lather on the BP/W testimonials. One of the nice things about a BP/W, for diving colder waters with thick exposure suits, is the contribution to good trim that a steel BP can make.

One additional caveat: other than the fact you appear to be diving in CA, and that you appear to be a relatively new diver, SB posters aren't in a position to know much about you and your diving, so whatever we suggest should be taken in that context.

One additional caveat: other than the fact you appear to be diving in CA, and that you appear to be a relatively new diver, SB posters aren't in a position to know much about you and your diving, so whatever we suggest should be taken in that context.

Good point. I have been diving for few months and just went through my PADI OW and AOW certification. With the AOW we did a deep dive to 94 ft and night dive. Loved the night dive, was not thrilled about the deep dive (it's really cold out here in CA).

Right now my plan is just do to recreational diving most likely around a max of 60 feet or so (that's where most of the cool stuff to see is anyways right?). On a side interest I am interested in underwater photography and video.

Regarding the BCD conversation, it sounds like the consensus is there is nothing wrong with the Nighthawk but the BP/W is preferred by many divers (some of which who upgraded later).

I know this is a broad comment and question as this is a global forum, but without renting a BP/W I don't know how I can experience the BP/W prior to a purchase. Have you ran into any dive shops that rent a BP/W? I may repost this question in the SoCal forum to see if anyone knows of any shops in and around San Diego that may rent a BP/W.

Thanks again guys.

What BCD did you use taking class. If it wasnt backfloat definitly rent a backfloat beofre trying it because it is not for everyone. As for the BP/W if all your going to do is camera and stuff like that at the recreational level stay with the recreational type BCD. A lot of recreational divers like the pockets and weight integration. Try a few different setups before going with something just because it is cheap. There is usually a reason why its cheap. When it comes to diving you get what you pay for.

I like my Knighthawk but has very limited storage pockets

What BCD did you use taking class.

I've done 11 OW dives with a Scubapro jacket. I am not a fan. I am renting a Nighthawk to do 2 dives in on Saturday. I hope that will help in figuring out what I want.

In other news I found out the highly recommended DSS is in Pasadena which is driving distance from my house should I want to go the BP/W setup. Only thing is I don't think I can rent this setup anywhere....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom