• DIN, steel or varied tanks

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • yoke, aluminum tanks

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • yoke, steel or varied tanks

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adder70

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't been wet for about 2 and a hlaf years now, but I just put my regs in for servicing in preparation for getting wet again. :bang: (Tanks get hydro Monday!)

When I was diving before in Florida, all the dive shops seemed to have AL 80's and yoke rental setups. When I took my regs in, I was talking with the LDS (Adventure Dive in Richmond, VA) manager, and mentioned the DIN vs yoke thing, since I have a DIN setup and everyone seems to rent yoke. He shocked me by saying most of his setups are DIN, many H-valve, and most tanks are Genesis 120's (I have H-valve DIN Genesis tanks, a 120 and a 100). Obviously this is nice for me since my present setup matches his most common rental setup (3 tank trips or, god forbid, equipment failure)

My question: Is the difference location or timing? What type of rental setup is most common in your area? i am interested and will check when I am in Florida for the holidays if things have changed there now.

Edit: we really need a spell checker here! (At least I do!)

...well, in the Dallas/Ft Worth TX area, Al80's and yoke regulators are the norm. The only shop I'm aware of that rents DIN regs rents Sherwood (yoke only) and Dive Rite, which come from the manufacturer as DIN with yoke screw on adapters, but are pretty much used as yoke only.

Most shops rent AL63's/AL80's only...and the biggest capacity tank generally available is the AL100. Steel tanks are available, but uncommon, and are available for rental only at the more tech diver oriented shops.....probably as they cost (retail anyway) 2 -- 2 1/2 times the price of the same capacity AL tank..

Doubles are rarer still...again, available only at the most technical oriented shops.

Karl

scubafanatic once bubbled...

Steel tanks are available, but uncommon, and are available for rental only at the more tech diver oriented shops.....probably as they cost (retail anyway) 2 -- 2 1/2 times the price of the same capacity AL tank..

Karl
In England everyone uses steel, Luxfur had a big safety recall a couple of years ago which did the AL tanks no favours either.
Steel tanks 2- 2 1/2 times the price? How much do you guys pay for steel 80's, sounds like you being ripped off with artificially high prices over there.

I only get my gear from one or two places so far, but judging from what I've seen lying around, AL80s with yoke fittings seem to be rather common. I tend to dive steel 72s a lot lately since I don't suck down the gas fast enough to have to put up with the much larger AL 80 which to me is an inconvenience. (My SAC is somewhere in the 17 - 20 psi/min range) I've been offered to try an AL 63 but there are only two places locally that I know for sure carry them.

AL 80 & yoke.

adder70 once bubbled...
Edit: we really need a spell checker here! (At least I do!)
I am the worlds WORST spller. Most of the time I just let it ride. But sometimes I'll write the post in word, spell-check it, then just drag it to Scuba Board. Just a thought.

Just down load this spell checker. When your done typing, right click and select spell check.

spell checker

Hallmac

Nice one Hallmac !!
I never could work out why IE doesn't come with a spell checker anyway. This should make me posts a bit more legible.

LOL just ran spell checker and it tried to change your name to hallway.

If my information is correct my name comes from an old German name for a dweller of the halls. AKA Bum

Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom