The FBI took my salvage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
What is it with me? A couple of months ago I found a 40 cal. launch grenade in the lake and the Air Force bomb squad came to my house and took it away (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35209).
Saturday I found a red metal box (about 18”X12”X16”) in 12 foot of water in a local river. Inside, in a big trash bag, were a bunch of documents, half burned, some cut up. There were passports, Visas, Washington state drivers lic., social security cards (14 different ones, to be exact), cut up credit cards and more. There were computer disks burned and broken into pieces. The passports were issued in South Africa and it looked like the people entered the US through Canada. The names on the passports were not pronounceable by me. By the condition of the stuff I would guess it had not been in the river more than 24 hours. After a couple of calls, I was directed to the FBI. I went down to the local office with the red metal case, and of course, they took it away. They seemed VERY interested. They wanted to know exactly where I found it and exactly when. They wanted to know what I'd touched. They wanted all MY info including my social security number.
Probably nothing, but weird, huh? You just never know what you’ll find in the water. People think they can just toss it in and it’s gone forever.

How can it be that you would happen on such suspicious material twice in such a short amount of time? I for one have never found explosive material or illicit documentation while diving -- or for that matter on land.

We better keep an eye on you :nerd:

Rick Inman once bubbled...
Saturday I found a red metal box (about 18”X12”X16”) in 12 foot of water in a local river. Inside, in a big trash bag, were a bunch of documents, half burned, some cut up. There were passports, Visas, Washington state drivers lic., social security cards...
Cool .. sounds really interesting .. but oh so nice how the FBI wants all your information .. just for being a good citizen .. great huh .. nice trusting nature of the FBI.

But maybe we should orginse a tour to come diving with you, watch your methods of discovering FBI classified materials, way cool.

Be safe when diving. :)

Rick Inman once bubbled...
What is it with me?
I don't know...but I'm pretty sure it's best that you are thousands of miles away from me...

maybe you're just an undercover secret agent guy in disguise...you were planted by the FBI and programmed not to know you have the ability to find the "lost stuff"

Oh that's where I left them ... gee thanks Rick, any chance you could pop down to the FBI and retreive them for me?

Back
Top Bottom