Komodo and current in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looking at Komodo next March. My buddy just got back from Maldives and said every day was a lot of current and very little of the dives were drift. Wondering if there is anyone out there familiar with Komodo and the conditions in the 1st week of March. Thanks in advance.

Full moon occurs February 25, 2013, new moon on March 11, 2013. The first week in March falls squarely between those dates, so you theoretically escape the peak tides of those two events.

Moon phase for 14 February 2013 Thursday

You can find just about anything you want online ... just have to look. :wink:

Thanks HD. also looking for specifics from people who dove there before and what type of diving they experienced, especially in the first week of March.

Looking at Komodo next March. My buddy just got back from Maldives and said every day was a lot of current and very little of the dives were drift. Wondering if there is anyone out there familiar with Komodo and the conditions in the 1st week of March. Thanks in advance.

I've been to both Komodo and the Maldives ... and although current pretty much defines the diving in both places, it's not anything alike. Current in the Maldives is strong and steady ... water moving into and out of large lagoons through relatively small, deep channels. It can be oh-my-god strong, but it's moving in pretty much one direction or the other. Current in Komodo can be mild, wild, steady, or washing-machine ... because the flow can come from different directions and mix and mingle depending on the topography. It can be an easy drift, an exciting ride along the reef, a game of hide-behind-the-pinnacle, or an every-which-way-but-loose ride on an aquatic bull. It all depends on the dive site.

The dive sites themselves are varied ... from shallow reefs with steep and deep dropoffs to pinnacles to sheltered coves to large rocks sticking up in the middle of nowhere.

Don't go by the calendar ... go by the moon cycle, as highdesert suggested. The strength of the current is going to be determined by the tidal flow ... which is determined by the phase of the moon. Look at what the moon's doing during the week you'll be there and you can get a relative idea how strong to expect the tides to be. But keep in mind that, generally speaking, the best dive sites are going to be the ones with the strongest current. The guides have all sorts of ways to deal with it ... and it's important to listen to the dive briefing and stick to the dive plan to avoid getting swept on some of them.

But by all means go ... Komodo's one of my all-time favorite places ... way better (to my concern) than the Maldives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Noted that observation on the Maldives vs Komodo, Grateful, thanks.

Unless you're with a group of particularly interested current riders, guides generally try to hit diveable current areas. In other words, there is current but you can deal. As noted, you use the topography to manage your current exposure. Note that you might not even feel there is a current until you get somewhere the water is constricted or obstructed, then suddenly there is current. For example, 20 feet off the wall you are just hanging there, whereas right on the wall, it can be tough to get around the corner. Watch the fish ahead, they point into the current. If they have to start swimming like mad, that's where the current is. Your best skill is reasonable aerobic health.

And what the current is at any given time is determined at that moment.

Take a reef hook with 10-15ft line, sonic alert & safety sausage. There WILL be current, depending on site & tides. Be safe & enjoy.

Does this mean that there will be low currents during these weeks?
Full moon occurs February 25, 2013, new moon on March 11, 2013. The first week in March falls squarely between those dates, so you theoretically escape the peak tides of those two events.Moon phase for 14 February 2013 ThursdayYou can find just about anything you want online ... just have to look. :wink:

Hey Bob,
Thanks for all the information. I just got back from the Maldives yesterday diving off the Carp Diem. The currents were strong at times
but I know that's where all the big fish are. While I enjoyed it very much, sometimes I was tired of fighting the currents and wanted a little
slow currents to just enjoy the small stuff and not have to hold onto to the reef, burn air, etc. So, I am thinking of booking the Komodo Dancer.
Since you have been to both (The Maldives and Komodo), will it be the same experience? What are your thoughts?

I've been to both Komodo and the Maldives ... and although current pretty much defines the diving in both places, it's not anything alike. Current in the Maldives is strong and steady ... water moving into and out of large lagoons through relatively small, deep channels. It can be oh-my-god strong, but it's moving in pretty much one direction or the other. Current in Komodo can be mild, wild, steady, or washing-machine ... because the flow can come from different directions and mix and mingle depending on the topography. It can be an easy drift, an exciting ride along the reef, a game of hide-behind-the-pinnacle, or an every-which-way-but-loose ride on an aquatic bull. It all depends on the dive site.

The dive sites themselves are varied ... from shallow reefs with steep and deep dropoffs to pinnacles to sheltered coves to large rocks sticking up in the middle of nowhere.

Don't go by the calendar ... go by the moon cycle, as highdesert suggested. The strength of the current is going to be determined by the tidal flow ... which is determined by the phase of the moon. Look at what the moon's doing during the week you'll be there and you can get a relative idea how strong to expect the tides to be. But keep in mind that, generally speaking, the best dive sites are going to be the ones with the strongest current. The guides have all sorts of ways to deal with it ... and it's important to listen to the dive briefing and stick to the dive plan to avoid getting swept on some of them.

But by all means go ... Komodo's one of my all-time favorite places ... way better (to my concern) than the Maldives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Does this mean that there will be low currents during these weeks?

Something to keep in mind about Indonesia in general ...

There is a phenomenon called the Indonesian Throughflow. The Pacific trade winds push water to the southwest, and Indonesia forms a barrier to all of this water. The mean water level on the Pacific side of Indonesia is at least 6" higher than on the Indian Ocean side. The result is that the ocean is always running "downhill" through all of those slots between the islands of Indonesia. This flow is in addition to whatever the tides happen to be doing, which at any given location may flow against or with the throughflow current. Depending on where you're diving, you may find that slack tides are never exactly slack, and a running tide could be suicidal.

I general terms, you should experience peak currents on the days around the full moon and the new moon. The period between them should lessen somewhat, but this doesn't mean they're going away. In reality, this may only be theory in Komodo, depending on the particular dive site, how it's dived, state of daily tide cycle, etc. I've seen cases where the current is running so hard that the water is a foot deeper on the upcurrent side of a small island than it is on the lee side. Komodo is a game of diving the pockets of slack or favorable currents when they exist at your intended dive site. Your best preparedness has been stated above ... good guide, good conditioning, a reef hook, and emergency signalling gear.

Hey Bob,
Thanks for all the information. I just got back from the Maldives yesterday diving off the Carp Diem. The currents were strong at times
but I know that's where all the big fish are. While I enjoyed it very much, sometimes I was tired of fighting the currents and wanted a little
slow currents to just enjoy the small stuff and not have to hold onto to the reef, burn air, etc. So, I am thinking of booking the Komodo Dancer.
Since you have been to both (The Maldives and Komodo), will it be the same experience? What are your thoughts?

We did not use reef hooks in Komodo ... which we did in the Maldives. It was rare in Komodo that I ever felt the urge to hang onto something if I wanted to stop for a picture, and even more rare that I succumbed to the urge ... Komodo doesn't usually offer the ability to grab ahold of a rock like you commonly can do in the Maldives. Many divers used little aluminum poles to steady themselves in current for a picture, but most didn't even do that.

Unlike the Maldives, the guides do not seek out high current areas in search of pelagics ... the things you'll want most to see in Komodo are typically smaller creatures nestled in among soft corals and gorgonians, and they'll select sites and times that allow you the ability to see them. When they take you into strong current, they'll do so either as a drift dive or by choosing sites where you can shelter out of the current for the majority of the dive.

Just listen to the dive briefings and do what they tell you and you'll have a really ... really ... good diving experience.

BTW - in the Maldives I was on the Carpe Diem's sister-ship ... the Carpe Vita. If your experience was anything like mine, you made an excellent choice. I was very impressed with both the boat and the operation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom