A 52 to a 60 inch speargun for Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

treehugger

Reaction score
I am not that new to diving, but I'd like to try some spearfishing. I am thinking of a getting a decent sized gun in the 52 to 60 inch range. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've the 3 string 38 Special NW by JBL and had lots of fun and success with it.

The longer the gun the more range you have, also the more power you will have.

I shoot Riffe's #3 standard and a Hawaiian, they are great guns and I can line shaft and freeshaft with the gun.

... a Riffe C2x, a C3x, and a JBL Sawed-Off Magnum.

The C2x gets the most use. The C3 is a bit long around reefs and swings slowly.

The JBL is a lot cheaper, but it has less power overall than the Riffe.

If you're going to be diving reefs and wrecks I'd probably do the C2, as it is faster and easier to reload, has plenty of power, and is easier to swing than the C3.

is that the "standard" SS guns (and the JBLs, and the Biller/Sea Hornets, which the SS guns pretty much are) are all three-piece guns.

That is, you have a barrel, trigger assembly and stock, all fitted together.

This, if you're a heavy user/abuser of the gun, can be a problem, as the entire load is taken on those joints during loading and while the bands are cocked (on the front joint.)

This can create a distortion in the alignment of the gun and thus its aim, and also has led to pieces cracking..... especially if you overpower the gun for more "oomph" - not good.

The Riffe and SS commercial series cost more money, but they are a one-piece stock/barrel, with the trigger inset into it. This is a much more robust design and, IMHO, is preferrable.

It does come with a heftier price tag though.

Treehugger, that is a funny name for someone who wants to take fish the old fashioned way....

I'd start shallow, and fish by skindiving with a shorter gun before attempting to scuba dive and fish at the same time.

AB Billers & JBL win the cost-effective prize and both have muzzles that can handle 3 5/8 bands making them just as powerful as anything but a big bluewater gun.I have never seen either distort under pressure.If you get a JBL make sure you get the XHD trigger.The Riffes are slower to reload but are very precise and have a quiter release.In addition there are a lot of semi'custom guns like Wong,Rabitech,Rob Allen etc.. that offer a lot of options to personalize your gun.Spearboard is definately a ggod place to hear the pros&cons of various makes.

(Treehugger, that is a funny name for someone who wants to take fish the old fashioned way....)

Well, just because I hug trees it doesn't mean I don't like to eat fish.

Thanks for the input from everyone. From what I have gathered, I guess I'll need a short gun and a longer gun.

I have a neighbor that will sell me his 42 biller cheap. That should be adequate on/under the reef and not too hard to haul around when lobstering.

So I guess I'll need a 50+ gun to round out the arsenal. Is anyone cleaning out their closet and needs to make room?

Again, thanks for the input/help.

Back
Top Bottom