3mm, 5mm, 7mm for SoCal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim R Alcoser JR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm considering buying a new wet suit in the near future. As far as So Cal goes, in general, what is probably a good wet suit for the water here based on Summer and Winter. I know there are more factors that can contribute, but I am just looking for a general idea. Or, what do you all wear?

Thanks in advance.

In the summer you are going to want a 7 mm (water temp ~65) in the winter you are going to want either a 7 mm semi-dry or a 7mm + a 5 mm hooded vest (water temp ~55). In the summer you are also going to want a hood, gloves and boots to go with the suit. I have a Bare sport 7mm that I like a lot. Excel makes a nice suit but is significantly more expensive. I had a Body glove but because it was a lower end model it was pretty buoyant. My understanding is that their upper end models don't have that problem.

I would suggest thinner than either of those choices. A drysuit is about 2mm.... :-D

On boats in San Diego I see about 60:40 7mm wetsuit : drysuit. Shore divers use mostly wetsuits in Laguna. A 7mm full suit with 5mm hooded vest is adequate.

Last edited:
Agree with Hatul. I visit SoCal a few times per year and dive with a full 7mm and a 5/3mm hooded vest and do fine. If I lived there and dived frequently, I'd buy a drysut. I've found the bottom temps in San Diego don't vary that much over the year. For instance, seems like temps on the Yukon are frequently in the mid-low 50s but have been a couple of degrees on either side.

You ll need a 7mm wet suit year round here. The only thing youll need to change for seasons is what you wear under it...
I suggest to buy everything seperate rather than built in to the wet suit so you can change it for water temps. I buy Oneill ....The inventor of wetsuits....

It depends on your cold tolerance. While most wear 7mm/7mm with hooded vest or drysuit, I am totally happy with 7/5 wetsuit in the winter and looking into 5mm for the summer dives at Catalina. I am bigger Russian guy (not overly fat, 6'2" about 200Lb, with big frame), usually smaller/skinnier guys/gals are more sensitive to cold. But I have seen at least one guy that was smaller and was diving 5mm with 3 mm core warmer vest in December and was totally happy. And then there is a certain female captain that dives 3mm wetsuit year round and claims to be fine with it:)

I'm a smaller guy, 155 lbs and I do 7mm with hood in the winter, 7mm without hood in the summer. gloves always. Don't need a hood when the temp is in the 60s. Those funky vests sound fun but never tried it.

I dive with a 7 mil with a hood in temps below around 57 degrees. Above that temp I am comfortable with my 1/2 mil wetuit underneath my 3 mil.

Back
Top Bottom