Hard to disconnect LP inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My LP inflator is hard to disconnect, and even harder to reconnect, when the air is turned on and the hose has pressure in it. Today I was teaching CW2 and simply could NOT make my own LP disconnect at all, and I had to resort to demonstrating with my student's LP connector. It doesn't stick at all when the air is off and the pressure purged from the hoses. Any ideas about why this should be the case and possibly whether there's some kind of adapter that's easier to grasp or slide or whatever that I can attach to my inflator mechanism so that I can disconnect the thing with ease? It's an Aqualung LP hose, if that makes any difference. (Maybe I should just use a ScubaPro or other manufacturer's LP hose?)

DSS has a "hat" that makes it easier to grasp. But check that the Schradder valve is screwed in tightly first. Hose and LPI inflator mfgr should not matter but you might try other combination just in case you have something at the extremes of the standards.

I'll check the Schrader valve. It hadn't crossed my mind that it might be an issue related to the inflator--I just thought it was a sticky sleeve or something. I'll also look at the DSS hat. Thanks!

I use the highland EZ QD adapter shown on this page: Highland EZ QD Adapter. You need to have enough room to clear the inflater with the ring around the QD, but it makes life so much easier. It goes on a standard LP hose which come in more variety of lengths than inflater hoses do.

There are some compatibility issues between standard hoses and standard inflators. I have had some that would NOT work together. That might be an issue. Also, spraying WD-40 around the ring/collar on the hose and then rotating it until it spins easily may loosen things up.

Given that inflator freeflows are relatively common, I think that the benefit derived from the relative ease and speed of disconnection of an Air 2 device is often overlooked. Divers need to be able to disconnect that hose, it is a safety issue.

It is amazing to me that we are still using the standard connector. It has not been changed for around 30 years, yet we all know it is undersized and inferior. Mechanics all use air tools every day and they are constantly connecting and disconnecting their pneumatic tools to the air lines and those connections work much, much better and they are not burdened with heavy diver gloves.

It is way past time to upgrade the connector, but nobody wants to go first because it would provide no backward compatibility, unless you constructed an adapter that would represent another potential failure point. The situation is really pretty ridiculous.

There are some compatibility issues between standard hoses and standard inflators. I have had some that would NOT work together. That might be an issue. Also, spraying WD-40 around the ring/collar on the hose and then rotating it until it spins easily may loosen things up.

Given that inflator freeflows are relatively common, I think that the benefit derived from the relative ease and speed of disconnection of an Air 2 device is often overlooked. Divers need to be able to disconnect that hose, it is a safety issue.

It is amazing to me that we are still using the standard connector. It has not been changed for around 30 years, yet we all know it is undersized and inferior. Mechanics all use air tools every day and they are constantly connecting and disconnecting their pneumatic tools to the air lines and those connections work much, much better and they are not burdened with heavy diver gloves.

It is way past time to upgrade the connector, but nobody wants to go first because it would provide no backward compatibility, unless you constructed an adapter that would represent another potential failure point. The situation is really pretty ridiculous.

Agreed. I use the Air2 (SS1) connector on my wing just for ease of use. My doubles wing and tool inflater gets the EZ QD shown above. It's interesting that the standard LP inflater is universal (and obsolete) but the Air2/AirSource/any of the inflater/regulator second stage combos get a different QD. Silly, really.

Divers need to be able to disconnect that hose, it is a safety issue.
Absolutely. And while this issue has come up for me only during my teaching duties, I'd hate to have the thing stick when I need it unstuck in a hurry. So it's not so much for the teaching that I want to be able to open it quickly and effortlessly, but for the real reason we teach the skill in the first place.

Would it be worthwhile to do a sonic cleaning and/or a good soak?

Would it be worthwhile to do a sonic cleaning and/or a good soak?
It was serviced not so long ago (but time flies, right)--I guess in October.Maybe it's time again given all the diving I do. I guess I'll try the WD 40 and see how it goes tomorrow. (No energy to get ultrasonic cleaner and stuff out tonight--it's after 11 and class starts up at 9 in the morning again.) I also read about a trick for using cable ties to improvise a sort of hat. Could try that, too, until I can get a better solution sent over here.

I have LP hoses on all of my bailout tank regs and I know that there is a slight compatibility issue with a couple of them. Most of the issues were resolved by cleaning the connection or servicing the schrader valve. I do still have one that is a problem. It is the one on my rebreather that connects to my wing inflator. With this particular instance, I must push the hose further onto the nipple as I slide the collar up in order for it to release. I know about it and it is a simple thing to do when needed and I leave it like that because it is very unlikey to get knocked loose during one of my crawls through a wreck or cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom