Where to get my cert?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

esiegel91

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone I'm a new diver and would like to get my certification I'm located in riverside and am wondering if anyone can recommend any reputable dive shops to go through to get the most knowledge possible. Also if you know their prices could you include that as well? Thanks in advance

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

There's always Sport Chalet. Alas, I don't personally know any local dive shops in the Inland Empire area.

I actually just found one called Wiley's scuba locker and the class schedule is like 6 classes all through a month

I actually just found one called Wiley's scuba locker and the class schedule is like 6 classes all through a month

Is that normal

Ask yourself if you want fast, if you want good, or if you want great instruction? Convenience and cost need to be part of your decision, but spend some time getting information on the various shops around your area, get recommendations (or criticisms), and talk to the instructors directly if you can. You will hear often on Scubaboard "it's not the agency- it's the instructor" that makes all the difference in your training.

And yes, 6 classes over a month is normal. You need 2 pool sessions (separate days) and 2 open water sessions (again-separate days), plus classroom. Classroom can be different from shop to shop and depending on if you take an "E-Learning" online class first. If you are planning to stay active diving in So Cal, where much of it is boat diving, I would make sure the class you take does some of the Open Water classes off a boat in the ocean (versus lake diving).

I am sure others closer to you will chime in with local dive shop recommendations.

Ask yourself if you want fast, if you want good, or if you want great instruction? Convenience and cost need to be part of your decision, but spend some time getting information on the various shops around your area, get recommendations (or criticisms), and talk to the instructors directly if you can. You will hear often on Scubaboard "it's not the agency- it's the instructor" that makes all the difference in your training.

And yes, 6 classes over a month is normal. You need 2 pool sessions (separate days) and 2 open water sessions (again-separate days), plus classroom. Classroom can be different from shop to shop and depending on if you take an "E-Learning" online class first. If you are planning to stay active diving in So Cal, where much of it is boat diving, I would make sure the class you take does some of the Open Water classes off a boat in the ocean (versus lake diving).

I am sure others closer to you will chime in with local dive shop recommendations.

Ya I thought about doing the e learning thing but Im a hands on kinda guy so I don't want to go that route. And I was just curious if 6 days was normal I'm totally OK with it. I want to learn everything I possibly can. And I know there are tons of dive shops along the PCH but I can't travel that far 6 times in a month plus the cosy of gas and the class...so I think I'm going to stay in the inland empire. Maybe I will do the sports chalet one just cause Padi recommends them..

Unless you have a need to get your cert immediately, I would wait for some more input from the other So Cal divers local to you and see who they recommend. This (Scubaboard) is a great resource and you get to learn from others who have been there and done that. Sport Chalet is convenient, but they are not known for providing a high level of individual instruction, so there may be other better options for you. Hopefully you get great instruction and that allows you to really enjoy your time diving.

... Maybe I will do the sports chalet one just cause Padi recommends them..
There are some good Sports Chalet instructors, actually most of them are. However, nothing beats good, one-on-one learning with a truly skilled instructor. BTW, once you do get certified, no matter the who the instructor turned out to be, it will be up to you to seek out some good divers to dive with. Learn from them and above all, dive as often as possible. There's a wonderful world down there just waiting for you to experience.

There are some good Sports Chalet instructors, actually most of them are. However, nothing beats good, one-on-one learning with a truly skilled instructor. BTW, once you do get certified, no matter the who the instructor turned out to be, it will be up to you to seek out some good divers to dive with. Learn from them and above all, dive as often as possible. There's a wonderful world down there just waiting for you to experience.

That's why I joined the board :wink:

If you are planning to stay active diving in So Cal, where much of it is boat diving, I would make sure the class you take does some of the Open Water classes off a boat in the ocean (versus lake diving).

I think learning open water ocean beach dives would be much better than boat dives. Boat diving can be easily learned with a buddy on a trip after getting your cert. But shore dives (which are also much cheaper than a boat) can get quite challenging if you have never done them in California.

Either way diving is great fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom