Pulau Weh - Is it too much for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muzzman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm supposed to be hitting Pulua Weh in about 3 weeks time, i mentioned this to a mate and he told me that when he did this he was dragged down by a serious current to about 40m, and then ran out of air at about 12m and had to share air.

I'm no expert at this game and enjoy a groove around, is this an ultra advanced dive?

Also any idea what the weather should be like at the end of July?

Another question any other dive suggestions while in Sumatra?

I haven't chosen a particular operator, I was just going to turn up and scope it out. Have you any recommendations?

I have only used one operator. The dives are advanced, they are deep, and the guides tended to swim into the current in stead of using currents in the divers favor. Keep an eye on airconsumption is my advice. I found the dives in Pulau Weh twice as tiresome as the dives I did in gili trawangan for example.

Okay, i'm wondering whether to make the trip now. I'm diving Sipidan in September and Nusa Lembongan in October so it's not like i'm short of good diving in the coming months.

Is it worth visiting and not diving e.g. just for some beach time and perhaps some snorkeling?

Have a chat with the different ops. Send me a message and I'll give you the name of the one I went with.

I wouldn't go to Pulau Weh for the quality of the beaches, no. If you're not diving, the place is very boring. The thing about this island to remember is that it's volcanic. In fact, you can dive in fumaroles there, so the island is geologically fairly young and not much eroded. Think about how a volcanic island is formed and you'll understand why the dive sites are deep.... the bottom slopes down very steeply and very fast, which means that they tend to be quite deep. The diving is great, but lots of it isn't beginners' dives. There are some easy dives, however, mainly at Gapang Beach.

Also, it's not an easy place to just go and scope out. You should book your dive center before you travel there. Your choices are fairly limited anyway. I personally dive with Rubia Tirta.

I might go to Pulau Banjak now as the beaches are supposed to be better

Or the good news is that the shore diving is very beautiful and very easy just off the dive "resort" Lumba Lumba. You should be able to borrow tanks, bring a compass and keep an eye on navigation. I don't remember it getting deeper than 30 feet nor much current. I really enjoyed all the beautiful reefs and critter hunting. Night dives in the shallows are quite a treat.

At 200 logged dives, I found the boat dives tricky, potentially dangerous and quite deep. There was quite a bit of peer pressure to do dives I wasn't comfortable with. I ended up logging three uncomfortable boat dives with wicked currents, then spent the rest of the trip truly enjoying the beauty and tranquility of the shallows.

There is not really any night life. Just a very simple area with basic food, but if you like nature/culture you will probably enjoy some hikes as I did :). Lumba Lumba has nice rooms, or wander down that beach looking for local rooms if on a budget and adventurous.

Have fun and please be safe!

My wife and I have been there twice and in total have done about 20 dives and we only had one dive with badish current. We loved the dives, the viz is amazing and there is a lot of marine life. So many moray eels!!! Lumba Lumba or Rubia Tirta are your two main options and most experienced. Apparently a new resort has opened up on Gapang beach. I have a you tube clip of our first stay Pulau Weh holiday - Casa Nemo - YouTube we stayed at Casa Nemo but it has since changed ownership and not sure what it is like now. They dont do any diving from there anymore and its a bit far from the main dive spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom