BP+W harness adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm still trying to get everything tuned up properly with my harness setup. I'm running LP72s + HOG 38lb + Hollis Elite.

The problem I'm running into is the crotch strap is snug out of the water, but once I get in, it almost loosens up, and the whole rig slides forward, which ultimately screws up my trim and makes me front heavy.

Dialing in the setup:
Valves = Between shoulder / neck area?
Crotch strap = Snug? Parachute TIGHT?
Shoulder straps = 1" of give? Little give? Snug? Parachute TIGHT?
Wing = Top even with top of valves? Even with tank necks?

Hmm, not sure why the crotch strap would be tight with the rig farther down and loose as it slides farther up. I would have expected the opposite.

As for dialing it in, it would very from person to person, but here is how I would do it:

Valves = Between shoulder / neck area
Crotch strap = Little loose to very lightly snug
Shoulder straps = Enough give to put your fist between your chest and the strap
Wing = Depends on trim requirements. If front heavy and head gets forced down, I would try raising the wing higher (use lowest set of eyelets) to get more buoyancy higher on your body.

I'd try that and see how it feels, and readjust as necessary.

I'm curious if it's the tanks? Perhaps move them down?
I just rigged up my 72's to plate basic harness 38 lb hog wing and was having a heads down trim as well. Please let us know how you get this resolved.

Hmm, not sure why the crotch strap would be tight with the rig farther down and loose as it slides farther up. I would have expected the opposite.

1+

Shoulder straps need to be tight enough to keep the tanks from rocking back and forth, but loose enough to get out of your harness after the dive.

(In really high-pitched voice) You don't the crotch strap too tight.

I was taught that the valves openings just peek over the shoulders - but I would test that standing in water so you don't have 100+ lbs weighing you down.

The shoulder straps, as Randy mentions, about a fist worth of room in front of the shoulders, but that is to an extent determined by where you want your valves.

I want my valves up far enough that I can comfortably reach them, but as far down as possible to give me more head-room. The exact position may also be influenced by what type of tanks you're diving and where they need to be to trim you out.

The waist belt a tad loose and the crotch strap a bit tight/short, so that when you cinch the waist strap down, it tightens up the crotch strap, which in turn keeps the tanks from sliding up.

It sounds "painful", but works fine, and is no problem in the water :)

Henrik

Check to make sure your waist webbing runs down toward the center front of your body (where crotch strap meets the waist webbing) in a bit of a downward vee, not straight across your belly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom