New Computer needed - Must have option Gas Switching - Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeke XA3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Queensland - Australia - Most of the time
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey guys,

Seems i lost my Tusa Zen the other day so i need to buy a new dive computer

However i would like it to be future proof for some TDI courses i want to do. What are some simple (and hopefully well priced) options i can look into, that have on the fly gas switching?

I only need 2 gases...

So far i can see

Tusa Zen $400
Suunto Vytec $1000
Oceanic OCS $700

Check out the Seiko rebranded models (Dive Rite Duo/Trio, Cressi Archimedes, Zeagle has one too, etc). Good computers. Here is a link to the Dive Rite version. They are all the same - http://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/hgdg01.shtml

Honestly though - none of these computers do a great job with multiple gases. If you are looking at technical courses, you'd be better off finding a computer that has gauge mode. Scubapro Tek2g and Suunto Viper and Vytek all come to mind as good computers with a gauge mode equipped. The 2/3 gas computers won't be used in your courses.

To actually have a usable computer for tech you need to upgrade to a Shearwater or Liquivision unit. I dive a Shearwater for all my dives and LOVE it.

ok been doing some more reading on this forum and yeah seems that its a big jump to a "real" tech computer. Although surprised to find gauge mode is not standard on a dive computer. The 3 ive have had have all had it so assumed it was standard!

Looks like ill buy something basic to replace it and therefore not cost me much if i lose it again (it got "lost" at work) that i can use in gauge mode then wait untill im quite far along my tech courses before i invest.

i had a nitek plus (2 gas computer, but i don't think it's made anymore) through advanced nitrox/deco procedures and it worked great. i'd go with the current nitex 2 gas without hesitation. i only sold it when i started using more than 2 gases sometimes, and sorta wish i'd hung on to it anyway. i love my shearwater, but having something that doubles as a watch - i didn't count on missing that, but i do.

Talk to your tech instructor first. Consider a basic bottom timer before spending a bunch of money on a multigas computer. Its really not needed and I wish I could get the $1000 I spent on my computer back since I jumped the gun and thought I was setting myself up for success for future tech training. For what its worth I am ADV Trimix certified and my computer has never been out of gauge mode.

Back
Top Bottom