Diving Jakarta - One Day Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Recently started diving, and due to work commitments, have made some dives that can by done by day trip from Jakarta. Thought I would share some information on the available options. Note that I am not affiliated with any dive center so I will refrain from posting specific contact info, if anyone wants details can PM me

1) Sanghyang - about 3 hours drive to Paku Pier in Anyer and from there another 45 mins via speedboat. Went on a 2 dive trip there. Diving conditions relatively better than the 1000 islands, and about 17 dive sites around the islands. Conditions when I was there
Visibility - Not good. about 5m.
Conditions - Some current and very choppy surface due to some wind at the time
Underwater - Some decent coral life, and reasonable marine life at certain spots. Managed to spot some nudibranches, some turtles and a few large barracudas
Overall - Nothing spectacular and not comparable to some of the better diving in Indonesia, but a decent option for those living in Jakarta and needing a quick dive getaway. Also, good for beginners to improve their skills, and continue diving

2) Pramuka (1000 islands) - Due to high cost of the resorts there, and overall bad reviews, opted to go on a 3 dive day trip with a liveaboard. Much closer than Sanghyang as its only a short ride from Ancol. Better option for those who do not want to spend 6 hours in a car for 2 dives.
Visibility - 5-8m
Conditions - No or very little curent. Frequently used for OW dive training for Jakarta based divers
Underwater - Slightly worse than Sanghyang. Very little fishes and corals, possibly due to overfishing, and proximity to Jakarta.
Overall - Again, nothing spectacular. However, very crowded probably due to easy access from the city. Also, good for beginners or training.

There are several other day trip sites such as Krakatao volcano and Tunda Island, which I have not yet had the opportunity to visit. Will post some info after I have made the trip. Also, there are 2 wreck dives close by, USS Houston and HMAS Perth, which I have not visited as those are only for advanced divers due to strong current and deeper than recommended for OW divers.

Update : Pramuka 2nd trip

Recently went on a one day 3 dive trip with a liveaboard. The boat leave Jakarta at about 6am, arrive at the destination at about 10am, 3 dives, 6pm leave for Jakarta, and back in town at 10pm. A very long journey for 3 dives but beats a great day at work anytime. Distance is about 4 hours as I was on a big liveaboard that moves slowly, but its actually about 2.5 hours away if via speedboat.

Dive 1 - Area Perlindungan Laut (Protected Ocean Area)
- Much better than previous dive. 15m visibility with some current. Much more corals and sea life at this area. Some decent nudi, a few turtles and some stingray
Dive 2 - Semak Daun
- No current but decent visibility. 10-12m. Also much more corals and sea life than other areas. Some green turtles.

Overall, much better experience that the first time I was there. Guess there are some good dive spots, just depends on the actual site on conditions on that day. The diving was surprisingly good, and much better than I expected being so close to Jakarta.

Back
Top Bottom