Dive Report: Bali and Gili Trawangan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d3vin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Last May to early June we went to Bali and Gili Trawangan.

We spent for 3 days in Tulamben, Bali. Tulamben is a 3 hour drive from Sanur, well 4 1/2 hours to be exact because of the horrendous traffic from Kuta area. I don't know why, but Bali is getting very crowded these days. Some locals told me that was because they were building malls around Kuta and Seminyak.:shocked2::shocked2:

Cut the story short, we dove in Tulamben, and not only traffic was bad but there were A LOT of divers. Gears and gears and gears were laid down on the beach. It was a bit different than the last time we visited it. We dove at the USS Liberty wreck, the visibility was clear about 15 meters. The great barracuda was still there since the last time we dove in 2010, but there were no school of Jack fish that we've seen from last time. Our guide told us it has been couple of months that the jack didn't show up. The diving there was great, but not perfect. You could easily found many divers around the wrecks. If you're not really pay attention to your group, you could easily end up with some strangers :D. But 3 days of diving in Tulamben was enough for us. On the 4th day, we went to Gili Trawangan by fast boat from Padang Bai. It took us about 2 hours to cross from Bali to Gili Trawangan.

Now, me and my wife agree that Gili Trawangan is a paradise to us. For those who haven't been to Gili Trawangan, it's actually a small island among the three (Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno and Gili Air). Gili T is the biggest and most populated among them. It's kinda divided into 2 sections. Central Area and Sunset Area. Central Area is the place for most people to spend their time partying and such. After we've been through in Bali, we decided to stay on Sunset area. We stayed at Queen Villa. It was actually a payback for our holiday, couldn't be more than happy! We dove for 2 days straight with the hotel dive center, Bee Diver. They are very professional and safety oriented, it's the right dive center for us the 40 years old couple. We found a lot and I mean A LOT of turtle there, and surprisingly, the DM was used to work on one of the live aboard in Indonesia, so he found quite a lot of macro critters. Our favorite! Only one word from us, "AMAZING". Should consider this place before Bali next time. All in all, we were more than happy and money well spent on Gili Trawangan! What's the perfect word for a perfect holiday? after diving we spent our day enjoying the sunset with the highest mountain in Bali as a view!

That's all for now..:)

If you go to Gili Trawangan, check out this Queen Villa and Bee Diver! They are simply amazing, especially the dive center! :wink:

Thanks for the information, I last dived at Tulamben in February 1999, was practically deserted, obviously it has become way too popular.

Gili Trawangan sounds like a good choice.

Yeah..just browse around about it. If you can stand with the crowd, central area is the one. But if you want to recharge yourself, you might want to stay around Sunset Area. The different is obvious between the two. All in all, I think you might like the island. Just my two cents..

Thanks for the information, I last dived at Tulamben in February 1999, was practically deserted, obviously it has become way too popular.

Gili Trawangan sounds like a good choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom