BCD Choice Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been keeping an eye out for used BCDs and while. I haven't found any great deals yet and I have started toying with the idea of going the BP/W route. The two main things I'm looking for in a BCD are:

-Reasonably easy to travel with. I don't dive locally so I'd prefer something that's reasonably easy to get into a bag. It doesn't have to be the lightest or most compact BCD in the world but any weight and space savings are a positive. I have no idea how easy it is to pack a BP/W versus a typical BCD.

-Integrated weight. I really hate weight belts and far preferred the one weight integrated BCD I've been able to try out in the water. I know some people say a BP/W reduces your need for weight but I have a 5mm wetsuit and I'd be traveling with the lightest plate possible so I'd need at least some additional weight. I assume that add-on weight pockets are the way to go if I did a BP/W?

I have zero tech ambitions and no plans to sidemount or anything of that nature so I don't need endless D-rings, just a couple of places to clip a safety sausage and sometimes lights for night dives. Before I started pondering a BP/W setup I'd settled on searching for a Zeagle Brigade. They seem to get universally positive reviews and I know that Zeagle has a fantastic reputation (although their lifetime warranty won't do me much good if I'm buying used :-/ ). On the other hand I like that BP/W is a modular setup and you can just replace one part if something breaks. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

If all you want is a travel rig then I'd suggest a Zeagle Express Tech. You can customize it to you and it packs up way small and light. You can get integrated weights if ou like. Personally I hate em. Rather use a belt and pockets on the cam band like I have on mine here: Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

Shoot a PM to Captain Gene here on the board. He runs Zeagle Express and will not steer you wrong. I have done business with him myself.

Your two main requirements in a BP/Wing might lead you to a Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe.
The Exp Tech has a very light weight fiber back plate and a great integrated weight system that packs super small.
And they are not overly expensive. Maybe you can get a new one with full manufacturers warranty.

---------- Post Merged at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Your post be mine by about 1.7 seconds.

Thanks for the advice about the Express Tech. Like I said I have no real desire to buy new at this point, but I'm keeping my eye out for attractive deals on used gear.

In 3 decades of diving I've replaced exactly one inflator on all my BC's. So I wouldn't let replacing parts drive your decision. The modularity of a BP/W is so you can switch from singles to doubles wings as desired. And they do pack smaller since you can separate the plate from the wing to pack it.

They're pretty new but you might also watch for a used Zeagle Wicked Lite. 4?lbs. and you roll it up to pack.

Even though the Brigade uses the smaller Escape wing, it's still a Ranger jacket. So maybe more pockets, d-rings, cummerbund, packing bulk than you want.

You might also watch for a used Stiletto, they cost more new than the Brigade but are slightly less bulky - 1 lb lighter - than the Ranger - bungeed wing also. Single tank only though. I think Zeagle has sold more Stiletto's than Scubatoys has sold Brigades so there might be more available. I have managed to cram an XL into a carry-on roller bag but it was tight.

I'll second the thoughts on Stelitto and Ex Tech unit.... expect you're going to see a lot of BP/W replies here..

Sorry but when you say great deals, there's lots of great deals in the Classifieds section if you don't want to buy new... but understand most folks don't give stuff away if that's what you're expecting..

about 1/2 to 2/3's of new cost for a reasonably maintained BCD is about the norm from what I've seen...

I'd consider half off of a BCD that's in good condition to be a very good deal.

I'd consider half off of a BCD that's in good condition to be a very good deal.

It depends what is being sold. I don't think you are going to find a like-new in-demand BC like an Express Tech for half off. You are more likely to find a good condition but older bc for half off.

Check the local dive shops around September. Here anyway, that's when they replace rental gear and all the one year old gear is on sale for a gret price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom