Right Wing Size of LP 98 doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lately ive been trying to get into doubles diving. i use LP 98's which compared to the al 80's and hp 100's i see all over the place are big tanks. The wing i use is a HOG 58 Lb. when i use the rig. i find that the wing adds some extra width to the sides of the tanks and occasionally scrapes the walls of ships hall ways and other objects i try to swim through. ive been wondering if i should down grade to a smaller wing. The dive shops around here don't carry wings or other tech gear for the most part so i cant really go and just compare sizes and lift capacity.

is that even a problem, the wing scraping against stuff??

do you guys have any suggestions? :idk:

i dive kinda heavy with that rig. ~ 38 - 44 lbs give or take at the start of the dive and 22 - 28 at ~ 500 psi. on top of that i plan on going tech in a year or so. so most likely going to add more heavy crap to all the stuff i carry. thats kinda y i went for the 58 in the first place.

How much are you scraping against the sides? And why? Is there current that is pushing you into them? Or are you going into places you should not be without tech training? Some contact with the sides of objects is not a big deal. But ships are metal and even clean wrecks rust and deteriorate over time. That means sharp items that will slice through a wing, suit, or flesh. The minimum I would use for anything like 98's or 95's is a 50lb wing. I have two HOG 58's I use with LP85's and my LP72's. It is too big for the 72's and I'll be moving to a 38 for those once I sell one of the 58's. But I have yet to get snagged or make anything more than a slight brurh up against an object. And that includes going through the busted out windshield of a school bus and the emergency door window. It is more about technique, choosing your route, moving slowly and purposefully, and evaluating the conditions. If your profile is correct should you even be doing swimthroughs of hallways and other overheads at less than 100 dives without wreck penetration training? Even "clean" wrecks have killed divers doing things they should not have been doing. I don't know how many dives you have in those doubles but before you start going through things with them you have your buoyancy, trim, and control nailed down pretty good.

Not trying to be a smartass at all but a good Intro to Tech class may be very beneficial on a lot of levels. One that covers gear selection and configuration in detail as well as the skills to use it.

i can assure you im not doing anything past my training/ capabilities. Its true i only have about 12 dives on the doubles, but the places this has happen are OW sites with nice swim throughs... that i guess are just a little to tight for the doubles.

Too tight for doubles? Sounds like a restriction to me

IMO a 40lb wing should be enough, but you have the 58 so use it. You could try bungee around the wing (aka oms style) to keep in nice and tight but I have a funny feeling some members here will doom you to death with that idea. :reaper: I use a 60lb wing with double hp120 and 3 stages (80's) in a wetsuit!

I dive a halcyon 60 with my steel doubles (85,98,104,112's). I vary the back plate as need with the 104's and 112's I use aluminum. It's fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom