Is this a good backplate and wing setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AandK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, first of all some info about myself. Currently im diving a dry suit bag style with 12 kilograms of lead in water that is 11-16 degrees celcius. Im 6foot 1 and weigh 89 kilos. Im using a Seaquest Balance back inflace BCD which has been ok but has some annoying faults like i cant reach the rear dump.

For the last few weeks i have been researching BP/W setups. I would like to spend less than $500 to get a SS system with integrated weight pockets and a comfortable harness. This is what i have come up with:

Dive rite SS backplate
Oxycheq 40# wing Mach v
Dive rite 16# weight system
2 sex bolts
oxycheq single tank adaptor (for extra weight)
Dive rite deluxe harness with quick release
2 inch crotch strap
SS cam bands

I know the single tank adaptor is not needed but i may add a lead beam into this to hide some weight in the future.

This comes to $525 at caveadventures.com

How does all this sound?

I might make some alterations.

Dive rite SS backplate
Oxycheq 40# wing Mach v
I won't spend $65 on weight pockets, you could get decent weight pockets from Leisurepro for $40 or less.
2 sex bolts
oxycheq single tank adaptor (for extra weight)
Ca's Hogarthian Harness w heavy duty buckle
XS Scuba Tank Bands with Stainless Steel Cam Buckles (Pair) (I just spoke to Frank at cave adventurers and they will be able to get a pair for you)

If you are the sort who is handy and can DIY you could drill some holes on the ss plate to mount these fellers:
Deep Sea Supply Glide Harness Adapter $40
DSS Glide Harness Adapter makes getting in and out of your hogarthian rig easier - dyv.us : Scuba Diving Philippines
I would get a pair of them over a deluxe harness anyday.

Cheers

Nice system,though if it were me, I'd lose the STA and the dive rite pockets and go with something like the DUI weight and trim. That's just my preference, there's nothing with that rig as configured really.

Personally I prefer weight pockets that I can put anywhere on the bcd cus I'm feet heavy and weight systems like DUI or typical hip weight pockets don't work well for me.

I prefer the xs scuba type pockets which I could place almost anywhere.

The other alternative is Deepseasupply which has really great rigs and they have a glide system that allows easy adjustments on the fly. If you get a pair you'll be able to adjust both the right and left very easily and they have weight plates that can directly bolt onto the plates.

You also might find that after moving to a bp/w you might not need all that weight as the a lot of the bcds are very buoyant compared to a bp/w.

Cheers.

You can get a complete setup from Deep Sea Supply for almost $100 less than that, and you won't need the STA, and everything will be from the same manufacturer, so there won't be any compatibility issues. Not to mention that DSS has a MUCH better reputation than Oxycheq for customer service and support.

Ive also been looking at deepseasupply.com and seen some very good reviews. Which of the two types of wings should i get? I think i like the idea of the full circle rather than horse shoe, even though im currently using a horse shoe bcd. I have emailed DSS with a few questions but my concern is shipping costs.

Other websites offer free shipping on orders over $500 for international (im from Australia) and without this i think it may be too expensive unless a similar offer can be made or a discount perhaps on the rig?

The bolt on weights look really good also but this would also increase my shipping cost to Australia.

Hi AandK,

Well I'm not sure if deepseasupply will send to Australia free but I know that purchases above $600 will quality for that at caveadventurers.

The other thing is I'm sure you'll have to pay tax for that in Australia so it could get really expensive quick.

You may be able to ask the sender to send in two packages so it does not attract taxes and I think taxes are payable on purchases over $1000 in Oz. do some due diligence to be sure mate.

taxes to australia dont kick in unless the purchase price is above $1000 on imports. however our government is in the process of taxing everything soon. thats what happens when they spend more than they can afford to buy votes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom