Is this a good backplate and wing setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive-rite/oxycheq wing set up that you described is excellent. Just don't get the 'deluxe' harness, get a standard 2" webbing harness. To the respondents that commented on not needing a STA with the DSS set up, you don't need one with the oxycheq wing either. The OP wants one for extra weight, and with that in mind, it's perfectly acceptable, although I personally would get camband pockets from XS scuba instead, and you can easily mount 10lbs on the cambands. This does not move the tank further off your back like a STA does.

I don't know much about the weight pockets you described, but in general I'm not a fan of dive rite quick release pockets; they seem bulky and clumsy. With the steel plate and some weights on the cambands, a weight belt becomes much more manageable.

Not trying to steer you away from DSS, it's also very high quality gear.

If you are set on the harness (and that is fine) NESS has "older" models of the DR Trans-Plate harness at a close-out price of something like $75. Essentially almost the price of a hogarthian rig ($50). If you end up changing down the road, you can basically just buy new webbing, and use the hardware...

taxes to australia dont kick in unless the purchase price is above $1000 on imports. however our government is in the process of taxing everything soon. thats what happens when they spend more than they can afford to buy votes.

LOL my mistake then when I was studying there my buddy who lives there kept complaining about fishing equipment costs then even more when he get's taxed after he tried to bring some in!

Anyhow, I understand that it may be that Oxycheq is more difficult to deal with however, I have bought a lot of oxycheq stuff from Edd at caveadventurers and if I had any issues I would just deal with him. So far it's been really good.

It might even worth your while to contact Edd to see if he sells DSS stuff even though it isn't on his site.

I have no qualms bout using diverite gear and oxycheq or DSS anyday. Imo, the Oxycheq mach V wing is IMO the best singles wing out there.

Have you looked at divegearexpress.com? They have a package that includes the weight pockets for a little over $500 and have free international shipping.

You have received a lot of good advice on the rig. I will add a few comments to support part of what has been said, and share my personal preferences.
Dive rite SS backplate Good backplate, have several of them, no complaints.
Oxycheq 40# wing Mach v Great wing - Oxycheq wings are exceptionally well-made. I echo comments about Oxycheq 'service', but using a dealer may change that. Whether you will need a 40 lb wing, for single cylinder diving, even in a DS, is up for discussion. But, it is a reasonable choice.
Dive rite 16# weight system Several options, including cam band weight pockets have been mentioned. I am not sure from your post which system you are considering, but several of the DR weight systems are a bit pricey.
oxycheq single tank adaptor (for extra weight) As several have noted, probably not necessary, either for stability OR weight
Dive rite deluxe harness with quick release Mixed opinions here. Would NOT go with the Deluxe harness. Having a quick release on one shoulder is nice, but you can accomplish that goal with either a longer piece of webbing and a little tinkering (with a quick release threaded on the strap), or have a local shoe shop sew a quick release into a piece of webbing.
2 inch crotch strap Personally, I find a one inch strap to be more than adequate, and cuts down on the abrasion of the DS material in the crotch
SS cam bands Good idea
How does all this sound?
Sounds like a good approach. You can drive yourself crazy over trying to save $25 on a rig. Frankly, I would look at several options, including the cost of a DSS rig shipped from the US, and make a choice on the basis of total cost, presuming equivalent rigs.

Additional personal thoughts.
1. The SS STA does add to weight. But, I suspect you will take A LOT of weight off simply moving from the Seaquest BCD to the SS BP - more than just the 6 lb weight of the plate. Try the rig without a STA before you invest. You can always add that afterward.
2. Are you specifically trying to avoid a weight belt? That is a fairly inexpensive and versatile weight option.
3. I would NOT recommmend a DUI Weight and Trim Harness. I have one that I bought because I, too, needed A LOT of weight with a back-inflate BCD and my DS, in cold water. I really found that the best solution was a steel cylinder, a SS BP, and a weight belt. I do not care for the harness.

I think Tortuga68 is referring to the Halcyon Traveler system which is US $599 however, it's not a steel bp that you are looking for and at those prices I rather get a Zeagel Express Tech which is only about US $260.

I too would echo what the guys have said about not needing some items as you had been diving for so long with a balance so why the need for such heavy add ons? You easily loose 6lbs by going the bp/w route.

If you are dead set on a SS bp/w combo this is pretty good too:
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

However, if I had to get the a SS bp/w this is what I would get:

1. Oxycheq SS singles setup:
Diverite SS bp
Oxycheq Hog Harness + Heavy duty buckle
Mach V - Signature Series 40 lb
Sex Bolts ( +$15.30 )
2 inch crotch strap
2 SS cam bands
4 cheap weight pockets
$450 or so from cave adventurers, email them.
Or

2. Deepseasupply SS setup:
Single Tank Rig w/ Medium or large Stainless Steel plate, Hogarthian Harness, Torus 35, Full Circle Style Single Tank Wing $460
Glide Harness Adapter $40
Email them for a softer harness for use with the glide system.

There are tons of options from a soft pack like the Zeagle express tech, alu plates and sm diving setups however, you will have to decide what sort of diving you'll be doing, singles, doubles, sm, occasional tropical dives etc.

Cheers

I am not sure I follow the OPs intention, a 40 pound wing but only 16 pounds of weight capacity, seems like a mismatch. I would go with the 30 pound wing if you really only see the need for a maximum of 16 pounds weight.

The DR QR 16 pound capacity pockets, I have them and use them on my 30 pound Mach V on stainless Freedom Plate. They work best in the vertical position. I recently altered them by sewing a loop in the web that attaches the QR buckle to the pocket. I did this to remove slack which can allow the weights to fall out when you (me :wink:) get tumbled like a washing machine on a surf entry.

On my 18 pound Mach V I use the XS QR pockets, each holds a maximum of five pounds for a total of 10, which I feel is appropriate for a wing barely capable of 18 pounds lift it is rated for.

I am not against pockets (like the XS) on cam bands for trim but am still old school enough to feel that the majority of your weight should be able to be ditched. As well, a lot of weight on cam bands, plus a negative steel tank, can make you a rolly polly with the tendency to roll over and consequent need to constantly correct.

I also have a 40 pound DR wing which I use with my heaviest exposure protection, with it I still use a weight belt in order to maintain a balanced configuration.

1) 18 pounds Mach V wing, Ultralight fabric plate - 10 pounds capacity QR XS weight pockets- swimsuit and rash guard to shorty rig (mostly aluminum tanks and steel 72s)

2) 30 pounds Mach V wing on stainless Freedom Plate - 16 pounds capacity DR QR pockets - shorty to 2 piece 5mm full suit rig (any tank except for the very negative steels)

3) 40 pounds DR wing on Hammerhead plate - traditional weight belt plus XS trim pockets - heavy wet suits, farmer john and three piece wet suits, dry suits etc. (and very negative, large capacity steel tanks)

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom