activating/changing dive modes on D6i?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isbal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I just bought a D6i, namely for gas switching during dives.

But I found the manual to be rather unprecise regarding the activation of the dive mode. Let's say I go underwater without selecting the Dive(air) or dive (nitrox) mode, which one will be activated as it will detect the descent?

Am I able to select one of them during the first meters of the descent?

I'm not sure if I have to select the right mode mandatory before going into water. I could test and figure out, but I'd like to know before, rather than compromising a dive. So any experience feedback appreciated.

thanks!

Some models stay on nitrox while others will return to air once they are clear for ~48. I have seen Suunto computers do both. Once in the water your are in that mode as you cannot switch. The good part is that if diving nitrox but in air mode would be fine as long as you do not go beyond the MOD for the gas you are breathing. If in nitrox mode and with dual gas just make sure a second gas is turned on is set to air. Then you can switch once in the water.

Without prior selection the D6i will go into the last used mode. Make things easy for yourself and leave it in Nitrox mode. Once submerged the DC modes can't be changed.

The best advise is to set your DC as part of your pre-dive checks on every dive!!! After-all it's part of your equipment. This way you will catch mistakes before you enter the water.

Divenav has a good class on theis computer.

Scuba Diving Simulator, Dive Computer Training, Dive Planning and Dive Logging Software
eDiving, DiveComputerTraining, divePAL, iDive Computer
divenav.com, ediving.us, divecomputertraining.com
Plan your Dive, Dive your Plan, Log your Dive
Learn to use YOUR Dive Computer

thanks for your answers dudes

ajduplessis, I gave it a try and that's how you mentionerd. It makes totally sense to check it pre-dive, I was a little concerned that, if I checked everfything a little whil before going underwater, it would switch back to time mode then default air mdoe in surface, but it switches to last used mode indeed.

D6i was convenient, good display of informations, as a sunto

Go to Dive Computer Training.com and you can get a complete video class on how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom