DG05: October 2012 Release Model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vascuba67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have several questions to ask on the forum and hopefully those of you already using this dive computer can help me better understand how to work the manual and the videos to my advantage. I have already contacted customer service and even sent an email to David Burroughs (sorry Nick Hollis- you were on vacation when I had my meltdown about interpreting the cryptic pin codes I received with the unit and not receiving the download code for the training videos). I have not been able to find any reviews online of this computer from divers actually using it. Hopefully, my decision to purchase this computer over the Shearwater Petrel and Predator turns out to be the best choice. So far, I am skeptical about both quality of software and product. I have been diving for over 25 years and have, within the last year, migrated to doubles diving hoping to get into trimix sometime in the near future. I am also a PADI diving professional. I initially indicated to customer service that I wouldn't post on this forum, but feel I need to hear from those of you diving this computer if my experiences are normal or atypical.

Question #1: Temperature Gauge Not Working- fluctuates between 34 + 36 degrees F. Water temp registered on my backup computer as 71 at the surface, 57 at 58 feet. Is this a bug in the programming? I can't use this if the temp gauge is not accurate.

Question #2: Software on the website is the 2010 version and not the 2011/2012 as advertised in the manual. Both the VR Technologies (Pin Upgrades) post the same software. Can someone tell me if this is the correct version? The Hollis site lists the software as 2011 version yet the file is listed as a 2010 version. When my computer shuts off, the version # reads 2.11. What does this mean?

Question #3: ProLink Software Crashes. I am using the XP, 32-bit version. I get a runtime error 13 when I try to run the profile of the dive (play button at the top). When I press OK, the Pro Link software crashes out and disappears. I can't get it to work on my Windows 7 32-bit computer.

Question #4: ProLink Software states I am in trimix mode. Is this normal? If not, how do I get out of it and make open cicuit scuba my dive plan.

Question #5: I was in the pool this past weekend and I found that at 5 feet the computer occasionally froze when I tried switching screens. Any ideas?

I'd really like to use this computer with confidence knowing it's performing like a champ. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you have had other experiences with this computer, let me know. I don't like finding out about bugs in the software in the middle of my dive.

I plan to bring the computer out to the local quarry this weekend with three gases (32/36/32), with a MOD of 91 feet. I will post up my reaction to the functioning of this computer on Sunday night. I think that after reviewing the manual a forth time and watching the video sessions again, I am feeling better about working around the issues above. The computer must be planned while running the software if you have gases in the wrong order or decide to change the order. G3 refers to three gas mode (starting with Gas 0, Gas 1, Gas 2,...etc.) G10 equates to having 10 gases in your lineup.

Sunday Update: I completed two dives each lasting between 48-56 minutes. Max Depth of 89 feet and temperature of 46 degrees with no thermocline. The computer was put head-to-head with a Shearwater Predator. My dive buddy had the Predator. During different points of the dive we compared screens. The comment I got after the dive was that he could see my data more clearly and it was easier to toggle through screens. The WiVi was another feature he really liked since the Predator doesn't have that, he has to run a secondary computer with wireless connections to get that precise information. The detractor from his perspective was that the DG05's connection cable was $200+ whereas the Shearwater uses a Bluetooh USB (included). The sizes are comparable with the DG05 being slightly smaller.
I have put in a support email to Hollis' website about the issues above but more importantly the temperature reading. What was odd at depth was that I got the correct reading. I wore a backup computer that gave similar readings for temp. When I downloaded the dive log data and viewed the profile, the temps were all between 32-24 degrees. So, somethings not communicating correctly. I am hoping the Hollis customer service can resolve this issue.

I was not to comfortable setting the stop depth of 20ft and then not intuitively seeing a countdown timer when I hit that depth. I am sure it's in the manual or video trainings somewhere. My backup computer displays the 3-minute countdown very nicely so that the dive was safe. Gas-switching? A piece of cake. Very easy to manipulate.

Brightness of the screen. This is achieved through \100 (timed out at full brightness); \50 (timed out at half brightness); 100 (full brightness all the time; and 50 (half brightness all the time. Battery consumption on the first dive at 48 minutes with 100 was 14% of a full charge. Full charge is 98%. After the second dive at 50% brghtness, I only used up another 6%. Not too shabby.

DiveNav videos... these are a great place to start and to continue to review as preparation between dives.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2012 at 04:53 PM ----------

Question #5 Answer: the computer works at 5 feet starting the dive.

I still need answers for questions 1-4.

[FONT=&amp]Hi VaScuba,

I have included answers to your questions below.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Question #1[/FONT][FONT=&amp]: Temperature Gauge Not Working- fluctuates between 34 + 36 degrees F. Water temp registered on my backup computer as 71 at the surface, 57 at 58 feet. Is this a bug in the programming? I can't use this if the temp gauge is not accurate.[/FONT][FONT=&amp] Good question, we[/FONT] would need to find out if you are getting this information during the dive, in the Dive log of the DG05 or in the Dive log when downloaded to PC?[FONT=&amp]

Question #2: Software on the website is the 2010 version and not the 2011/2012 as advertised in the manual. Both the VR Technologies ([/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Pin Upgrades[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&amp]) post the same software. Can someone tell me if this is the correct version? The Hollis site lists the software as 2011 version yet the file is listed as a 2010 version. When my computer shuts off, the version # reads 2.11. What does this mean?[/FONT][FONT=&amp] The software was written in Oct 2010 but we released it in 2011. This is the latest version.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Question #3: ProLink Software Crashes. I am using the XP, 32-bit version. I get a runtime error 13 when I try to run the profile of the dive (play button at the top). When I press OK, the Pro Link software crashes out and disappears. I can't get it to work on my Windows 7 32-bit computer.[/FONT]
In Windows 7, it is best to run in Administrator mode.[FONT=&amp] Prolink was designed to work in Windows XP (32 bit). It can run in Windows XP (64 bit)and also Vista and Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) in many cases when the following is true: Windows is updated with the latest service pack and updates. Once prolink is installed you right click the desktop shortcut and tick the "run as administrator" and "Run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (service pack 2)" check boxes. If is says any files are missing these are often downloadable from microsoft's website. www.Microsoft.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
Question #4: ProLink Software states I am in trimix mode. Is this normal? If not, how do I get out of it and make open cicuit scuba my dive plan.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] Not sure I fully understand this one. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]All of the DG05s are Trimix but some are open circuit only? This may be a set up problem, but please let me know if you have sorted this one already.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Question #5: I was in the pool this past weekend and I found that at 5 feet the computer occasionally froze when I tried switching screens. Any ideas?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] At 5 feet the computer thinks the dive is finished and is going into surface mode.[/FONT][FONT=&amp] This doesnt seem to indicate an issue and we would need more detail to determine so.

Please call us at 888-383-DIVE if you have any further questions.
[/FONT]

Hi vascuba67,
I'm very interested in the DG05 although I have never seen one in person or seen many reviews. Please continue to post your thoughts on it. I am looking at the DG, liquivision LYNX and maybe the Petrel although since the shearwater is not AI it is last.
Thanks,
Paul

@ Nick- Thanks for the feedback. Glenn from Customer Service has forwarded my request on the temperature issue to the factory techs to determine if there is something else going on. Customer service for this has been quick and responsive. I am concerned that the software in XP crashes with this Runtime 13 error message. What's the word on that?

@ Paul- I was like you looking for reviews, any reviews, on this computer from earlier this year and prior to them pulling the computer off the market to upgrade the software/firmware, etc. I waited like everyone else to see this in-person prior to buying but put my order in so I could try it out once it was released. When I say no reviews, I mean interestingly, no one but the manufacturer advertising a plug on divewire/divegearexpress, etc. Cavediver.net and rebreatherworld had a few threads from the January-April 2012 timeframe. I think it's important to hear from divers in the field working this unit (in addition to manufacturers commenting) as compared to reading advertising. BTW, I would have to rate my initial experience with getting the codes interpreted as "failure in communication"- I just hope that my remaining issue is not both a deal breaker nor keeps me from diving for the next 2 months while it gets worked out. And yes- this computer is a .... VRx...which is a DG05: http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/computers-dive-timers/204754-hollis-dg05-vrx-oled.html ; I like this review Computer VR Technology VRX OLED - Divernet ;

Hey guys I have about 30 dives with the DG05 about half are deco dives with 3 or more gases to depths greater then 150ft and I have not had any problems .. The temp is one thing that is weird but the bottom temp where I dive is about 38F and I don't like the way the temp is displayed in the log but other then that great computer

I was not to comfortable setting the stop depth of 20ft and then not intuitively seeing a countdown timer when I hit that depth. I am sure it's in the manual or video trainings somewhere. My backup computer displays the 3-minute countdown very nicely so that the dive was safe. Gas-switching? A piece of cake. Very easy to manipulate.

Brightness of the screen. This is achieved through \100 (timed out at full brightness); \50 (timed out at half brightness); 100 (full brightness all the time; and 50 (half brightness all the time. Battery consumption on the first dive at 48 minutes with 100 was 14% of a full charge. Full charge is 98%. After the second dive at 50% brghtness, I only used up another 6%. Not too shabby.

I bought this computer just for the hell of it, really. As a recreational diver, this computer is way more than I needed. However, I'd like to see the darn thing working correctly as well and the operator's manual is nearly worthless. I have lots of respect for Alberto and what he's done with the dive computers but I don't think that it's right for me to buy a computer and then have to watch somebody else's video to learn how to operate the darn thing.

Mine just went back to Hollis for some sort of firmware update. Before that, in HP mode (air integration), it won't display tank pressure until after the gas pressure drops down to less than 999-PSI. Now after the firmware update, the gas pressure readout is correct ( within 50-psi difference from another air integrated computer) BUT it doesn't stay displayed all the time and only shows up if I were to hit the right toggle button.

I still don't see the Safety Stop countdown. Maybe it's because the computer is a technical diving computer and not a rec diving computer?

Also, the display is nice at low light, but near the surface in decent viz water, the sunlight washes it out.

Hey fnfalman thanks for your input. If you get the computer, transmitter, pc link and online training the unit costs about $1750.00 and with the issues described just on this page I think I will take it off of my list. I really wanted to like it but it looks like it just has to many issues, maybe it is just to early and hasn't been tested enough.

......DiveNav videos... these are a great place to start and to continue to review as preparation between dives.....
We are glad to help :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom