Shearwater Petrel Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Finally got in the water in an ocean dive with the Petrel.

First the conditions. It was 1/1/2013. Cold. Since the hurricane - the NE conditions have been BAD in terms of vis. So since we were on an inshore wreck in bad conditions - the expectation was that it would be an ugly dive with almost zero vis.

The Petrel is AWESOME.

It is easy to use, easy to learn, and easy to follow. I sell software for a living - and some of it is complex - but this thing is so easy, most computer intuitive people could probably open the box, set it up and do multi gas switch (if appropriately trained) dives with less than 5 minutes of practice on the software.

There was almost no ambient light and vis was about 2-4 feet. At times we were in complete silt out situations - to the point that I maintained contact with the line my buddy and I ran along the wreck for the entire 45 minute dive to 80 ft.

Some people were concerned about the new LCD screen instead of the OLED on the Predator - DONT BE. Even in complete silt out, I was able to see and read the computer easily.

Some people were concerned about the viewing angle of the LCD - DONT BE. Yes - there is an angle at which the screen blacks out....but it is also the same angle that you would not be able to read the screen anyway since it would be almost in line with your eyes and you would be looking at the side of the computer. At anything close to a reasonable angle - the screen remains bright and readable I played around with this while I tried to make it black out and I was impressed.

I kept the brightness set to AUTO.

On the hang, after I was cleared - I played around with switching gasses and adding gasses that were not planned or turned on - once again - VERY easy.

This computer is worth every penny.

The only negative I can find is that it appears that the temp is off. Since this was the first ocean dive on the Petrel for me - I also brought 2 other computers.....1 was on my wrist right next to the Petrel and one was in my dry suit pocket. They both read 43 degree bottom temps. The Petrel read 49. Everyone on the boat stated 42-44 on their computes. It seems that the Petrels temp reading may be a little off - and on the high side. No big deal.

Other than that - I love this computer.

Thanks for the input Manni-Yunk. I am sold on buying a Petrel, just need to find the money. As usual huh? B

Petrel Review.

It's great. Easy to use. Easy to read.

Review over.

Personally, I like the Predator over the Petrel, the screen is just easier to read, for me. Both are awesome computers though.

I have not dove with both, at the same time, under varrying conditions - enough to make that determination. Im assuming you have so I will take your work for it.

After seeing the Petrel perform in zero vis and complete silt out situations - I cant imagine it looking any better.

that being said - I know a lot of divers that PREDETERMINED that the predator screen was better - before diving or looking at the Petrel - based solely on the information available about the Petrel before it came out. I believe that LCD technology has come a long way wince the original useage of yje OLED. Shearwater made it very clear why thy used the screen that they did - And I trust they did extensive testing before making the switch.

The good news for people that prefer the Predator is that the market seems to be getting flooded with used predators - since a lt of people want to move to the Petrel. Ive been thinking about grabbing a used predator as well.

I too prefer the Predator over the Petrel; although, I would be hard pressed to to recommend the Predator over the Petrel for some one who is going to use it mostly for recreational dives. I use mine as a back up to the Predator for deep/deco dives or as a stand alone with recreational dives. I do like the smaller size and smaller price :D. Absolutely no issues with the display in dark or low vis environments.

I am glad to hear the reviews are positive. I was poking around to see of the Xeon or the X1 was a strong competitor. I also heard horror stories about the Hollis DG05. It looked like it could do what I wanted. I am going this direction now and will try to find a dealer where I can put my hands on it.

call shearwater and they will fix it.

Finally got in the water in an ocean dive with the Petrel.

First the conditions. It was 1/1/2013. Cold. Since the hurricane - the NE conditions have been BAD in terms of vis. So since we were on an inshore wreck in bad conditions - the expectation was that it would be an ugly dive with almost zero vis.

The Petrel is AWESOME.

It is easy to use, easy to learn, and easy to follow. I sell software for a living - and some of it is complex - but this thing is so easy, most computer intuitive people could probably open the box, set it up and do multi gas switch (if appropriately trained) dives with less than 5 minutes of practice on the software.

There was almost no ambient light and vis was about 2-4 feet. At times we were in complete silt out situations - to the point that I maintained contact with the line my buddy and I ran along the wreck for the entire 45 minute dive to 80 ft.

Some people were concerned about the new LCD screen instead of the OLED on the Predator - DONT BE. Even in complete silt out, I was able to see and read the computer easily.

Some people were concerned about the viewing angle of the LCD - DONT BE. Yes - there is an angle at which the screen blacks out....but it is also the same angle that you would not be able to read the screen anyway since it would be almost in line with your eyes and you would be looking at the side of the computer. At anything close to a reasonable angle - the screen remains bright and readable I played around with this while I tried to make it black out and I was impressed.

I kept the brightness set to AUTO.

On the hang, after I was cleared - I played around with switching gasses and adding gasses that were not planned or turned on - once again - VERY easy.

This computer is worth every penny.

The only negative I can find is that it appears that the temp is off. Since this was the first ocean dive on the Petrel for me - I also brought 2 other computers.....1 was on my wrist right next to the Petrel and one was in my dry suit pocket. They both read 43 degree bottom temps. The Petrel read 49. Everyone on the boat stated 42-44 on their computes. It seems that the Petrels temp reading may be a little off - and on the high side. No big deal.

Other than that - I love this computer.

Back
Top Bottom