Attacked By Cape Fur Seal! Did we do somthing wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divescape

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently dived on a local site in Cape Town called strawberry rock, which has a small colony of cape fur seals on it. We were having a fantistic all be it a cold dive with not great vis, when a lone seal dived towards my buddy and I showing all its teeth. It approached three times, only being disuaded by us presenting our fins for it to bite rather than flesh and blood. We retreated hiding in the kelp forest and rock swim throughs, both exiting with nervous laughter on reflection of what had just happened.

So here are the questions:
1. Is this normal behavior for Seals?
2. Was it playing with us?
3. Did we do somthing wrong?
4. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
5. What would you have done?
6. I am considering carying a broomstick disuader stowed on my BC, what do you think?

To put the dive into context we were 25min in to our dive 8-10m depth. Swim out swim around the rock, back and exit. We had been buzzed by several other seals as seals are prone to do, but all with closed mouths just playing with us. This behavior was different, an approach baring all teeth, where the seal backed off then came directly at our faces three times.

I have not recorded this SAC rate yet, but i will do, to show a diver under stress with heightened activity. Looking forward to your comments.

If they are anything like sea lions, it may have been a male protecting his territory. I've been bitten on a few occasions by sea lions, but they were only playful nips because I wasn't giving them enough attention. The bulls however, will draw a proverbial line in the sand which you may have crossed.

I know from experience that looking directly at a Sea Lion in the eye is going to get you the bared teeth and "bubbles". It startled the beejeebers out of me the first time it happened. That is their "back-off" reaction....much different than when the juveniles are playing with you.

It approached three times only being disuaded by us presenting our fins for it to bite rather than flesh and blood.
Question , did the seal in fact bite your fins?

We have "friendly harbour seals" approach us frequently, the juveniles are quite curious and i have had times when i think my buddy is tugging my fin but my fin is being tasted. Swim right between my legs during a drill and i was felt right up lol. The older ones usually keep a bit of distance, but still get close enough for me. I was told they have the jaws of black bears so i avoid putting my hands out, and some dives ive been swarmed, so i keep my hands tucked in my arms. Ive encountered a sealion a few times, they take my breath away....sooooo big, and im happy when they swim off....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom