Dive computers: Conservative or liberal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronaj

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All over the internet are discussions about conservative/liberal dive computers and their algorithms, which brand is "better" for which type of divers and so on... But no one says how liberal or conservative they really are, what is the referent point?

So, lets settle this once and for all.

1. Go to your dive computer planner
2. Set depth to 30m
3. Set dive time to 45min
4. Post your result with dive computer brand name and model. (TOTAL ASCEND TIME)

simple test for easy comparison.

Thank you

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 06:00 PM ----------

1. UWATEC Galileo Terra: 37min TAT

2. SCUBAPRO Aladin 2G: 47min TAT

Save a little time and effort: www.missionscuba.com/other-scuba/dive-table-comparison.html

But the real telltale is subsequent dive NDLs. Cut and paste link - sorry

Save a little time and effort: www.missionscuba.com/other-scuba/dive-table-comparison.html

But the real telltale is subsequent dive NDLs. Cut and paste link - sorry

Yes, I saw this table and as you see it states that Uwatec and Scubapro have the same times which is far from the truth.

Should we not be more worried about aggressive/conservative divers?

Any diver who pushes the NDL on their computer I consider to be aggressive. Regardless of the computer. Why do divers feel the need to push the limit?

My analogy is always trying to drive my car at 120 mph because that is how high the speedometer goes (and always getting home with the gas gauge on E).

I dive for fun and relaxation. There is no adrenal rush component for me. I save that for hockey and snowboarding.

Should we not be more worried about aggressive/conservative divers?

Any diver who pushes the NDL on their computer I consider to be aggressive. Regardless of the computer. Why do divers feel the need to push the limit?

My analogy is always trying to drive my car at 120 mph because that is how high the speedometer goes (and always getting home with the gas gauge on E).

I dive for fun and relaxation. There is no adrenal rush component for me. I save that for hockey and snowboarding.

If the speed limit is 55 do you go 45?

It is not about pushing the limit, its not about anything else except realistic information about dive computers. It is that simple! Every forum same story, trolling...

predator on 21/00 gradient factor 30/85 110 run time - 45 in bottom time
65 min assent

All over the internet are discussions about conservative/liberal dive computers and their algorithms, which brand is "better" for which type of divers and so on... But no one says how liberal or conservative they really are, what is the referent point?

So, lets settle this once and for all.

1. Go to your dive computer planner
2. Set depth to 30m
3. Set dive time to 45min
4. Post your result with dive computer brand name and model. (TOTAL ASCEND TIME)

simple test for easy comparison.

Thank you

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 06:00 PM ----------

1. UWATEC Galileo Terra: 37min TAT

2. SCUBAPRO Aladin 2G: 47min TAT
The Terra & the Aladin should be the same. As well as the Galileo Sol, Luna and SubGear XP-10 ( the previous Scubapro/Uwatec Prime ) should all match up due the fact that they use the same algorithm..

Sorry I can't post times due to the difference at alititude.

Use a program called 'V-Planner' and set your computer to 'gauge'.....W/V-planner you can set your own parameters and not have to worry about how conservative/liberal your computer is........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom