6 weeks Indonesia diving July/ August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl1957

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Help needed please!!

We are trying to plan a trip forJuly/ Aug and have up to 6 weeks to travel around Indonesia diving and relaxing! We have dived Komodo (Komodo Dancer) a couple of years ago and also Bali. I'm looking at Bunaken, Lembeh, Wakatobi and Raja Ampat. Can anyone tell me about dive/ weather conditions for that time of year and any suggestions as to the best itinerary with regards to internal flights etc? We hope to spend some time in Bali again but not necessarily to do much diving there.

We really want to dive the best places as I doubt we'll get chance to return to Indonesia, so all suggestions will be greatly received even if they are not on my current list. Thanks!!

Hi Scubagirl

I can highly recommend Bunaken and Lembeh (and don't forget Bangka if you are in Northsulawesi). It is a paradise for muckdiving, critters, drift dives... We have been there in July 2012 and the diving was really worldclass. We have been in Bali the year before and liked it a lot. There are direct flights between Denpasar and Manado, so you can combine them easily. If you get a visa for 60 days in advance you don't need to go for a visa run (normal visa on arrival 30 days). I heard that summer is not the good season for Raja Ampat and Wakatobi but haven't been there yet myself. Raja Ampat will be on my list for next September, then I can tell you more.

You may also carry on eastwards from Komodo to Maumere (excellent 4 days roadtrip through Flores, one of the most beautiful islands in Indonesia for dramatic landscapes) then Alor should be worth at least week diving (flying through Kupang). Otherwise, North Sulawesi is good ditto above, although not the best season for Bangka.
Not been to R4, but it is diveable all year round in Dampier strait, even read visibility was better in July than high season, sometimes cheaper too, the drawback is absence of manta rays... but who needs manta rays after Komodo and Nusa Lembongan in Bali? there's so many other species to see.

If it would be just me, I'd enter Indonesia through Bali stay in Lembongan/Tulamben, fly to Labuan Bajo, dive Komodo again, hire a car across Flores to Maumere, dive a few days, fly to Kupang and Alor, dive Alor, fly to Kupang / Bali / Manado (1 day transfer) dive Lembeh / fly to Sorong, dive raja Ampat. Back to Jakarta.

Thank you Luko and Andreni for giving me plenty of options. I think I must do Lembeh - the strange critters are calling and I'll be investigating your ideas Luko, I've never heard of Maumere and Kupang. Sounds like a plan :D

---------- Post added January 30th, 2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

Luko

I love your photos! I see you have dived Sipadan/ Mabul etc. How does it compare to Komodo, which do you prefer and is July also a good time? Thank you

Thank you Luko and Andreni for giving me plenty of options. I think I must do Lembeh - the strange critters are calling and I'll be investigating your ideas Luko, I've never heard of Maumere and Kupang. Sounds like a plan :D

---------- Post added January 30th, 2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

Luko

I love your photos! I see you have dived Sipadan/ Mabul etc. How does it compare to Komodo, which do you prefer and is July also a good time? Thank you
ScubaGirl, Kupang is NOT a diving destination but a necessary stop if you want to dive Alor.
Maumere was one of the premier indonesian dive destination before it was hit by a tsunami in 92, now that's all past the coral is good, comparable to Komodo in some respects although it lacks the fish density. They have some good black sand macro spots, but it might not be worth a full week. the thing is that it's away from the usual dive trail but I liked going there because it's a good dive destination after the Flores land crossing which is really spectacular (provding you agree that there are other things to see than just diving.).

I love both Komodo and Sipadan but I know Sipadan better.
Sipadan is "easier" and needs less effort to cover a wide array of critters of any size, I haven't seen anywhere so regular fish schools (barracudas, jacks) like in Sipadan, that's a big bonus for a photographer, the opportunities for seeing sharks and big stuff are maybe better in Sipadan. July is Ok for Sipadan, gets crowded with the european people.
Otherwise the corals and coral fish life is much better in Komodo, manta rays are also seen in Komodo while rare in Sipadan (saw only once in maybe 80-100 dives on Sipadan). Visibility and colors are impressive in Komodo, I tend to believe that there is more variety in Komodo but they need more effort to spot. July is fine for Northern + Central Komodo, not for southern.

I have never been to Komodo, however I have been to all the other places you are considering. July/August the currents will not be as strong as in December/January. Raja Ampat (RA) is by far one of my favourite places to dive. I have been there 3 times and enjoyed it every time. There is a great diversity of fish there and coral is colourful and plentiful. The landscape is also beautiful. Wakatobi is also good. The resort there is very nice and run extremely well. The diving there is also good, however I feel that many of the dive sites are rather similar and it lacks the excitement of RA. Bunaken has amazing wall dives, however it was very crowded when I was there 4 years ago and I am sure it is worse now. You end up seeing more divers than anything else like in Tulamben (Bali) compared to in RA, Wakatobi and Lembeh where the people on your boat are most likely the only people diving in the area. Lembeh has great muck diving and it is also one of my favourite diving destinations. It is also very easily accessible. You get to see many weird and interesting fish that you don't get to see anywhere else. Places such as RA and wakatobi will require almost a whole day of travel as you need to take a boat or chartered flight. If you are in bail you might also want to consider the Gili islands. They are only are boats ride away. Although diving here is rather crowded as it is so accessible, it is still very good and in my opinion underrated. The sea turtles there are also a wonderful sight as they are used to divers and don't swim away when approached as long as you don't touch them.

I love to dive komodo, as Lucas wrote there is a big chance to see Mantas in Komodo. But Lembongan, Bali is also very beautiful.

It is all what u like, big or small. And that the choice u have to make if u go to some destinations. Cuz some destinations dont have the small or big stuff.
Thats why i like komodo, Komodo has everything.

Hi Buiszie

Thanks for the Komodo advice. I dived Lembongan and Bali last trip, should I be heading for the Gilis this time too ?? :)

Diving in Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh is good at that time of year. You know Indonesia - you know it will be hot and it will rain. We have been going for years during July/August and have never had severe viz problems. Suggest you go to Manado and on to Lembeh. This will give you the opportunitiy to explore the highlands - volcanoes, local life in Tomohon which is virtually the "capital" of the area, and there is also Tangkoko National park. Worth an overnight in Tomohon or close by, and there are homestays at Tangkoko. There are some good dive lodges outside of Manado and as I have said in another post - there is excllent diving to be had there for critters. The boat ride over to Bunaken gives the opportunity to see dolphins, local fishermen, pilot whales. Lembeh diving - phenomenal. Some dive lodges in Lembeh are expensive but a bit of research will find a reasonable place. You might find some helpful information on Safari Tours' web-site - they are based in Manado and owned by a British guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom